Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Another "vote" for leaving it alone. Why the urgency to change everything all the time? If things were broken, I would understand, but this isn't broken at all.

I don't think you're understanding the fact that it's important for MR to have a nice image to keep it fresh and active. You may not like it, but thinks have to change every now and then.

Plus, we've all had plenty of time to enjoy this theme. :p

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Apple products in general have good aesthetics both software and hardware, MacRumors doesn't reflect that.

Abandoning function by pushing (what sounds like) an unproven, unstable forum platform, simply for the sake of change? With Maps in mind, maybe MacRumors shouldn't reflect all things Apple.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I don't think you're understanding the fact that it's important for MR to have a nice image to keep it fresh and active. You may not like it, but thinks have to change every now and then.

Plus, we've all had plenty of time to enjoy this theme. :p
You may be right that I don't understand the concept of changing themes being the key to a forum being fresh and active. I think forums are communities where content is what makes or breaks it, and arbitrarily making changes usually hinders/delays useability by making people re-learn how to participate. In giving it more thought, I see now that if we didn't change things constantly, we'd still be wearing animal skins and using spears to get dinner.

Onward... onward to The Three Shells, zero murder/death/kills and flying cars that take us to fine dining at Taco Bell! :p

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
While I actually like the look of the mobile forum theme now the real issue is functionality. Go to any modern forum and their functionality will show you that MR is really basic. It works, but barely. I mean, where is Quick Reply? That has been around for almost a decade now.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
While I actually like the look of the mobile forum theme now the real issue is functionality. Go to any modern forum and their functionality will show you that MR is really basic. It works, but barely. I mean, where is Quick Reply? That has been around for almost a decade now.

I wish I could copy and paste in the mobile theme and multiple reply would nice too.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I like this theme. It's simple, easy to use and doesn't distract from the content. The buttons have seen better days though, but to commission new (even more simple) buttons couldn't be too expensive. :) Moving to another forum software would be a real pain, and sadly vBulletin seems to have gone very much downhill since Jelsoft was bought out.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I like this theme. It's simple, easy to use and doesn't distract from the content. The buttons have seen better days though, but to commission new (even more simple) buttons couldn't be too expensive. :) Moving to another forum software would be a real pain, and sadly vBulletin seems to have gone very much downhill since Jelsoft was bought out.

With the wealth of graphic designers on this site, I'm sure you wouldn't need to do much at all, and not pay anything to get a complete new set of icons. Many probably even have experience designing for vB3.

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
I like it as-is... it's a big improvement from the old site and it sounds to me that the only argument for changing it is that, "well, it could maybe use a refresh...". That's not compelling.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I love the theme they're using right now. It looks a lot nicer than most forums IMO. On older browsers, vBB3 was a lot more functional. vBB5 is way too JavaScript-heavy, especially compared to other forums, and I didn't see much more functionality at all.

I thought Snitz was nice as well, even though it uses ASP :). I'm about to use it for a forum I'm creating.

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
You may be right that I don't understand the concept of changing themes being the key to a forum being fresh and active. I think forums are communities where content is what makes or breaks it, and arbitrarily making changes usually hinders/delays useability by making people re-learn how to participate. In giving it more thought, I see now that if we didn't change things constantly, we'd still be wearing animal skins and using spears to get dinner.

Trust me, design does have a large point of it. I totally agree that content is very important as well, possibly more so than design. But I've been part of a forum that started to gain a lot of activity once they refreshed the design. It does play a part in it.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.