Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular email app Mailbox, which launched for iPhone in early February with a reservation system that saw well over one million users sign up before the company eliminated reservations last month, has now gone universal with a native interface for the iPad.

mailbox_ipad.jpg
ReadWrite has more on the development, including a brief interview with Mailbox founder Gentry Underwood about how designing for the larger tablet screen was actually more difficult than for the iPhone.
"[Tablets] are these weird hybrid devices that sit in between," said Underwood. "They're part luxury mobile phone, and they're part makeshift desktop experience."

That made it harder, not easier, he said.

"Constraint is the friend of design," Underwood said. "It's easier for us to create a simple mail experience [for the phone]. We have to resist the temptation to take all these pixels and put in all these bells and whistles."
Mailbox is currently compatible only with Gmail, allowing users to intuitively triage their incoming mail through a simple swipe system supporting delete, archive, and a "snooze" function that dismisses email for the time being before reappearing to be dealt with.

The Mailbox team, which is now part of Dropbox, is also moving forward with plans to develop and Android version of its app, but no details on that effort have yet been released.

Mailbox is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail Management App 'Mailbox' Gains iPad Compatibility

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'm surprised this is still gmail only.

I think it may have something to with gmails conversation style setup?

I could be wrong but I'm sure there is a reason or mailbox would let you use it with any email if they could.

I have to say I love the app and its my main mail app now.

My only complaints is it doesn't show spam or the spam folder and to attach pictures in a message I have to attach them one at a time. Otherwise its great!:)

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Anyone having an issue with push not working on the iPad app? Works great on my iPhone, but on the iPad I have to open the app to pull in any new mail. It's set up exactly the same way as my iPhone app.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Am I the only one whose mailbox app is not iPad compatible? This is version 1.3 and I took this picture after installing it not even 15 minutes ago.... (sorry for the large image size I am not sure how to make it smaller and more manageable)

img2607.png

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
People use other email services? :confused:

I have been a long time Gmail user but it has frankly gone down the hill, with performance issues, usability issues, etc. Meanwhile, Microsoft has really done a great job with Outlook.com, which IMO is currently the best web email service out there.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I have been a long time Gmail user but it has frankly gone down the hill, with performance issues, usability issues, etc. Meanwhile, Microsoft has really done a great job with Outlook.com, which IMO is currently the best web email service out there.

Outlook.com is a non-starter for me because they flatly refuse to support IMAP.

Witha3

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2013
Anyone having an issue with push not working on the iPad app? Works great on my iPhone, but on the iPad I have to open the app to pull in any new mail. It's set up exactly the same way as my iPhone app.

Yeah I had that problem. It appears that I somehow bypassed the initial interactive walkthrough you get when you first open up the app. Upon opening up the app a second time and poking around in the settings for a push notification option the walkthrough appeared and at the end of it I received the standard iOS popup message asking me if I want Mailbox to send me push notifications. Since then it has been good.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the walkthrough to trigger, but just fiddle around in the settings and maybe it will appear like it did with me. Or try killing the process and reopening. If you already received the walkthrough and/or popup message and are still not receiving push notifications you're likely having a different problem than I did.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas

It appears that the "Go to my mailbox" button triggers the push notification permission pop up. If you go into settings>help>tutorial and go through that, you'll have a chance to allow push notifications then.

It's very confusing that it won't ask if you bypass the tutorial...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.