Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v04bvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
My rMBP 15" does not boot. Only white screen forever. I managed to run Internet Recovery (command+R at startup). It detects SSD, "SMART: OK" so I suppose that it's software fault. But if I click "Verify" it shows some weird errors and if I click "Recover" it sais that it can't recover, and suggests me to format. It does not mount the partition either (without any errors, just nothing happens if I click "mount").

The problem is I have an important info and I can't afford to lose it.

I have good knowledge of computers and I want to try to boot from linux distribution and try to mount the partition to save my important info before format. I found some instructions but they are quite cryptic, it seems that booting Linux from USB on Macs isn't very easy. I'll try to do it anyway, but if there's any other way to recover my info, I would prefer that.

I don't have USB CD Driver, so the only option to boot is from USB stick.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you have access to any other Macs with Thunderbolt? If so, you could use Target Disk Mode to maybe recover data, if the SSD and partition are recognised.

If the SSD is kaputt, there is unlikely any way to recover data from it. Do you not have any kind of backup?

v04bvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Do you have access to any other Macs with Thunderbolt? If so, you could use Target Disk Mode to maybe recover data, if the SSD and partition are recognised.
Unfortunately I don't have any other Macs.

If the SSD is kaputt, there is unlikely any way to recover data from it. Do you not have any kind of backup?
I believe that it was caused by Parallels. I installed it before the problem, installed Windows on virtual machine. But if I press Option at startup, I can see that Parallels added Windows entry in the boot loader configuration, so I guess it messed with some system partitions rendering the whole system unbootable.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Unfortunately I don't have any other Macs.
But do you know others with a Mac from 2011 or 2012 or 2013? Do you have any Apple Store near you?

I believe that it was caused by Parallels. I installed it before the problem, installed Windows on virtual machine. But if I press Option at startup, I can see that Parallels added Windows entry in the boot loader configuration, so I guess it messed with some system partitions rendering the whole system unbootable.

Parallels normally does not do that, as a virtual machine does not need any boot selection.
Boot Camp Assistant does add a Windows boot selection upon successful installation of Windows.

Hmm.

v04bvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
But do you know others with a Mac from 2011 or 2012 or 2013? Do you have any Apple Store near you?
Unfortunately no. Macs are rare here.

Parallels normally does not do that, as a virtual machine does not need any boot selection.
Boot Camp Assistant does add a Windows boot selection upon successful installation of Windows.

Hmm.
I used other virutal machines on other operating systems and didn't see them messing with boot records, so I was surprised, but fact remains that there was "Windows" entry in the boot menu.

I found that I can run Terminal in the Recovery mode. It seems that partition table is damaged and does not have any sense. I'm trying to find the tool that will scan entire /dev/disk0 and find text files and restore them in USB stick. I have found few GUI tools, but I can't run GUI tool in the recovery mode.

v04bvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
So I just downloaded one of data recovery software and recovered all my files. Gonna do format and fresh install, seems like my problem solved without Linux :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.