Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:28 AM   #26
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by L T View Post
Having to buy it online completely prices me out our it! Because I can't use my gift cards, epthsts before you even get to adding on! Haven't had too many problems with 4GB RAM on my mini and 128GB should be enough. I'm already decided I might have to out my iTunes library on a memory stick and stick to spotify to stream music to save storage space.

Those of you saying the 11" is much more portable, that isn't really an issue and I can easily carry the extra screen size around when I need to which won't be often. I have an iPad mini for car trips at that
Well then, 13" it is!

Go get one!!
ItHurtsWhenIP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
That is to say, if you often do something where even a 13" screen would be cramped, I think you should actually go for the smaller machine since you will connect to an external display anyway.
This is exactly how I felt after almost two years with a 13" MacBook Air. So I got a 2013 11" MBA and am very happy with it.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:43 AM   #28
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
Here's my thought's on the situation:

If you are buying this computer for general purposes, such as word processing, browsing, gaming and movies/music, then get the 13". I think the added screen size will help with day to day stuff.

However, if you are going to do a lot of coding, or design, or you are going to spend most of the time connected to an external monitor, then I'd say go for the 11". That is to say, if you often do something where even a 13" screen would be cramped, I think you should actually go for the smaller machine since you will connect to an external display anyway.

Personally, after a whole lot of internal debating, I went with the 11" and I absolutely love it. If you do end up going with the 11", go into Safari and set the minimum font size to 12. It makes reading web pages a lot easier.
that's an interesting take on it - i have to say i agree entirely! i went the 11" + TBD route myself because i figured that would give me the best of both worlds.

i doubt many people who get the 13 regret it, but for me the 13" air didn't feel as portable, especially when compared to the rMBP which is only .5lb heavier.

the 11 on the other hand is unbelievably portable and i don't feel cramped using it at all. i can certainly see why some people would though.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:46 AM   #29
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
the 11 on the other hand is unbelievably portable and i don't feel cramped using it at all. i can certainly see why some people would though.
It also doesn't hurt that the 11" can now be configured with the same specs as the 13". You don't lose any performance like you used to.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:15 AM   #30
L T
macrumors 6502

Well, I went into the apple store and got onto a 13 inch to have a play and opened up pages documents and views video on it.

Had a brief look at the 11inch but I don't like the lack of screen height. So went with the 13
L T is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:31 AM   #31
Ronnoco
macrumors 68010

I've had both and prefer the 13" as an all-around computer. If it is strictly for travel, the 11 is perfect.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:54 AM   #32
ItHurtsWhenIP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
that's an interesting take on it - i have to say i agree entirely! i went the 11" + TBD route myself because i figured that would give me the best of both worlds.

i doubt many people who get the 13 regret it, but for me the 13" air didn't feel as portable, especially when compared to the rMBP which is only .5lb heavier.

Another take from someone who agrees with jdechko and also has a 13" model which I don't regret getting in the least bit, upgrades and all..

I've just recently begun to think, instead of an iPad retina as something to take with me every day as a more portable option than the 13" (which isn't cumbersome by any means, but I've been thinking of an iPad to take on trips and to classes, etc. to keep the MBA fresh for home use exclusively as I'd like it to last me as long as possible), that an 11" base model would be money even better spent considering the keyboard, processing power, SSD speeds and the fact that it's a full computer compared to spending 5-800 on a tablet + case + keyboard (if necessary) in exchange for the ability to do everything a 13" can do (maybe on a slightly less intense level) on the go in only a slightly larger form factor..as a non-convert to Retina, I know I wouldn't have a problem substituting the resolution for sheer dominance in hardware.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself into something I may not necessarily need, but I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on the MBA crack, and man...I've got it bad.

I know, I know.. #firstworldproblems, indeed.
ItHurtsWhenIP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:58 AM   #33
Robster3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L T View Post
Having to buy it online completely prices me out our it! Because I can't use my gift cards, epthsts before you even get to adding on! Haven't had too many problems with 4GB RAM on my mini and 128GB should be enough. I'm already decided I might have to out my iTunes library on a memory stick and stick to spotify to stream music to save storage space.

Those of you saying the 11" is much more portable, that isn't really an issue and I can easily carry the extra screen size around when I need to which won't be often. I have an iPad mini for car trips at that
You answered your own original question then. Go buy 13".
Robster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #34
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it in good health.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air