Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
It's November. Has Apple sorted out its quality control issues yet on the iPhone 5? Are people still receiving scratched and damaged phones out of the box?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The issue has been resolved.

You know nothing.

Maybe the severely scratched units are not going out but the coating and build material are still subpar. It's an engineer snafu to use the aluminum grade they did. QC won't fix that.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
You know nothing.

Maybe the severely scratched units are not going out but the coating and build material are still subpar. It's an engineer guffaw to use the aluminum grade they did. QC won't fix that.

And yet Apple continues to sell the iPhone 5 as fast as they can make them.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
You know nothing.

Maybe the severely scratched units are not going out but the coating and build material are still subpar. It's an engineer guffaw to use the aluminum grade they did. QC won't fix that.

I think you mean "gaffe."

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
And yet Apple continues to sell the iPhone 5 as fast as they can make them.

Yep, the sheep are lined up. Once in a while a sheep wakes up and then has to have his 5 replaced 2-9X to get one right.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
You know nothing.

Maybe the severely scratched units are not going out but the coating and build material are still subpar. It's an engineer snafu to use the aluminum grade they did. QC won't fix that.

Perfectly fine iPhone 5 here with no scratches. The anodized coating is tougher then rhe polycarbonate Android phones out there. My old GS3 had scratches on the back somehow even though i cleaned my phone and case every few days. Same method here and nothing on my 5, so i think the materials are more durable on the 5

stevey6404

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Not for me...or I'm just unlucky.
On my third iPhone and there's a 0.4-5mm dent on the bezel and 2 tiny dents elsewhere, on top and bottom of the iPhone bezel. Also discolouration next to right antenna band.
I'm seriously considering giving up and just keep this poor quality, at the same time I want to exchange it but reserving is a pain down in Australia due to lack of supply.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My last two white iPhones has visible dents and scratches on both. I gave up and am keeping the one with the 2 smallest scratches. Oh well.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I have the newest run of iPhones. Mine is one day old right now. No issues with mine at all. The battery is great, no Scratches, not bent, no bad charger cable, everything works well for my case so far. Hope you have the same luck.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
No, got a phone on 9-11 (weird date I know) with week 43 (October) and it is scratched on the chamfered edge and when you click on it on the left or right side of the home button it makes a click noise almost like a physical button...

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
You know nothing.

Stop whining about the aluminium. You keep making it sound like they made it out of lead. I bet money you wouldn't be able to bend it with your bare hands.

resin_dr

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2005
agreed, it is a phone and not a collector's piece.

i don't think the iphone 5 has a quality control issue rather i believe the manufacturing process hasn't caught up to the execution of the expectations of apple. being realistic, what do you expect from worker's that are being paid far below north american standards without the proper training to execute the i5 meticulous and arduous manufacturing process.

it would be interesting to see if a manufacturing plant in the USA or Canada could execute the manufacturing of the i5 to the expectations of apple and their customers. i'm sure the price of the phone would be much more.

Stop whining about the aluminium. You keep making it sound like they made it out of lead. I bet money you wouldn't be able to bend it with your bare hands.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

The truth makes you uncomfortable. You might want to seek help for that. :apple:

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
agreed, it is a phone and not a collector's piece.

i don't think the iphone 5 has a quality control issue rather i believe the manufacturing process hasn't caught up to the execution of the expectations of apple. being realistic, what do you expect from worker's that are being paid far below north american standards without the proper training to execute the i5 meticulous and arduous manufacturing process.

it would be interesting to see if a manufacturing plant in the USA or Canada could execute the manufacturing of the i5 to the expectations of apple and their customers. i'm sure the price of the phone would be much more.

It would be more expensive to build here because we demand to be payed more and have unions.

Do you know what training the workers get? Do you know what will buy them overseas with their salary not comparing to the US?

Just sayin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.