Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berdar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I'm 99% sure my new Iphone 5 just got stolen, before i even had a chance to open the package. Short of filing a complaint with the package service and the police, is there anything else that can be done to recover the phone or at least make it not usable?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
What do you mean it got stolen? Did you just buy it and it wasn't in the box?

berdar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
What do you mean it got stolen? Did you just buy it and it wasn't in the box?

It was delivered by UPS and left on the doorstep. It seems as is one of my not so trustworthy neighbors snagged it.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
They leave it out in the open on the doorstep? Really? Where do you live if I may ask? They'd never do that here in Germany...

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I'm 99% sure my new Iphone 5 just got stolen, before i even had a chance to open the package. Short of filing a complaint with the package service and the police, is there anything else that can be done to recover the phone or at least make it not usable?

The first thing you should is file a police report then contact the shipper and provide them with a copy of the report. I dont think a carrier will black list the iemi because you never activated it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

If you authorized it to be left without a signature, the carrier will not help you. Your loss. You can file a police report but it will not mean anything.

If the carrier left it without your permission, they are on the hook to replace it.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
My guess is the OP left a pre signed form on the door allowing for it to be left at door. The only problem with doing that is a common thief knows that too and looks for those forms and waits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.