Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I want a printer that I can use to print pictures directly from my iPhone (wired or wireless). I've tried the VuPoint Cube and have gone through two already. They work right away, but after not using for a little while I can never get it to work again. Are there any other options out there?

Thanks!!

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
AirPrint enabled printer if your looking to buy a new printer.

I'm thinking that'll be my best bet. The VuPoint is $99, and refills come out to about $.75 per print.

I'll spend a little more on an all in one printer.

Now for some recommendations???

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I'm thinking that'll be my best bet. The VuPoint is $99, and refills come out to about $.75 per print.

I'll spend a little more on an all in one printer.

Now for some recommendations???

I don't own one so I can't recommend one. I'd like to see what people recommend also

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
With AirPrint Hacktivator you can turn just about any normal printer into an AirPrint enabled printer if its connected to a network.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Is pairing your iPhone with a printer the same as bluetooth pairing with a device? Rather than photos, I'd like to print word.doc that are sent to me via email. Is this possible?

its actually easier. just open the email attachment, tap the "Share" icon in the upper right corner, and select "Print." if the printer is on the same wifi network as the iOS device, the printer will show up in the print dialog window. tap "Print" again, and wait for it to finish.

that being said, i did have to update the printer firmware after i pulled it out of the box before airprint would work. that was over a year ago, however. i would assume any printer bought more recently would work right out of the box.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
its actually easier. just open the email attachment, tap the "Share" icon in the upper right corner, and select "Print." if the printer is on the same wifi network as the iOS device, the printer will show up in the print dialog window. tap "Print" again, and wait for it to finish.

that being said, i did have to update the printer firmware after i pulled it out of the box before airprint would work. that was over a year ago, however. i would assume any printer bought more recently would work right out of the box.

Thanks so much. Will try and post results later today.

I found this compatibility link for anyone who has an Epson Printer. Just trying to figure out the printer setup is the challenge. What is the difference between iPrint and AirPrint?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...ts&noteoid=196563#epson_connect_compatibility

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Okay, so the setup wasn't too bad. I had to do a youtube search for those interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYfJ5aJ0-M

The only issue I have is that when I go to print a word.doc it gives me two options: PRINT or OPEN in "EPSON PRINT".

My question is why can't I just PRINT. When I do hit PRINT, it says no AirPrint found.

So for it to work, I have to load the word.doc to "EPSON PRINT" for it to print wirelessly. It's one extra step. Could it be that my EPSON is not AirPrint-compatible according to that link I posted. Maybe, that's it. My Epson printer on that list does't have a check mark under AirPrint.

Last the word.doc I did a test on is one page. iPrint prints out two pages, second page has a solid line that goes across. The color text is in blue and I have the the word settings to black. Maybe, more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
a friend of mine highly recommends the Brother MFC-J825DW.
The others I'm looking at are the HP Envy and an HP Photosmart...too many to choose from.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Okay, so the setup wasn't too bad. I had to do a youtube search for those interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYfJ5aJ0-M

The only issue I have is that when I go to print a word.doc it gives me two options: PRINT or OPEN in "EPSON PRINT".

My question is why can't I just PRINT. When I do hit PRINT, it says no AirPrint found.

So for it to work, I have to load the word.doc to "EPSON PRINT" for it to print wirelessly. It's one extra step. Could it be that my EPSON is not AirPrint-compatible according to that link I posted. Maybe, that's it. My Epson printer on that list does't have a check mark under AirPrint.

Last the word.doc I did a test on is one page. iPrint prints out two pages, second page has a solid line that goes across. The color text is in blue and I have the the word settings to black. Maybe, more trouble than it's worth.

That is the problem. It needs to be AirPrint compatible to be able to use the built in print feature.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I bought an Epson XP-800 today. I haven't used it yet, but got a pretty good deal.

Any reviews of this printer?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Or try downloading the printopia app. Lets you print from your iOS devices through your Mac-enabled printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.