Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
It sounds like the initial jpeg was of very high quality. Images vary, although I'm still somewhat surprised.

The guy at the copy shop could have used a PS plug-in like OnOne's Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals). Still, i hear you - there's only so much that can be done, unless the guy used it to up-sample and then up-sample again...?

----------

I just realized that Preview has a "resize image" feature as well.

Does anybody know if there's anything inferior about Preview's resize image features vs. Photoshop's?

When I resized it to 7200x8866 in Preview, the result was a 3.6MB Jpeg which to my eyes looks no different than the 191MB TIFF that the guy created for me, or the 11MB Jpeg that he created for me.

Am I right in assuming that there actually might not be any difference at all between those three files, since the source file was a 133KB file at 480x579? Am I not really going to be missing anything that could have been there if I use the 3.6MB 7200x8866 Jpeg? They really look the same to me.

FWIW, I personally would trust Photoshop over Preview with something like this any day of the week. Adobe's been making Photoshop for many years, and it's industry-standard software. Preview... not so much. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The guy at the copy shop could have used a PS plug-in like OnOne's Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals). Still, i hear you - there's only so much that can be done, unless the guy used it to up-sample and then up-sample again...?

I must have used Genuine Fractals around Photoshop 6 on Leaf Valeo files, so yeah I'm familiar with it. I also like to think of myself like the old man and the sea. :D

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
I must have used Genuine Fractals around Photoshop 6 on Leaf Valeo files, so yeah I'm familiar with it. I also like to think of myself like the old man and the sea. :D

Yeah GF has been around for a while. Don't remember exactly when but OnOne bought it some years back (not too many) and eventually changed the name of it to Perfect Resize. I have GF v4 and v5 (v5 was a free upgrade when I bought v4), and Extensis' pxl Smartscale 1.0.

Great programs, those. :)

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I would love to hear from a Photoshop user about whether they could tell a difference between a resampled photo done in Photoshop vs. in Preview. I compared the TIFF file the guy created for me in Photoshop with a Jpeg created by Preview on my computer and I couldn't tell a difference in quality at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.