Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
It's not a problem with the technology.
Its the lack of interactivity with family, parents and the real world that gets ignored. Electronic devices should never be a replacement for one-on-one time with a parent, regardless if that is playing, teaching, etc.

ryanarrowsmith

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Wow, this is getting pretty silly up in here. :)

I think it's bizarre how so many people like to pass judgement on the choices other parents make. WHY?! As parents, we all need to support each other and be open to hearing differing opinions. That's how you grow and learn. No one needs a stranger commenting on how they raise their children, based on one post in an Apple forum (and, if you're that person making snarky comments in this thread, way to jump to conclusions).

If you don't think children should have an iPod Touch, or an iPad, that's pretty simple: don't buy them one. But, likewise, don't pass judgment on parents who make a decision to use them.

Our son gets limited time on his iPod Touch and it's ONLY loaded with educational games - no movies, no recreational games. Most of the time that he has it, we are sitting together, learning about the alphabet, shapes, numbers, colors, animals, we're learning Spanish. When we started using it, he could read small words and he could count to 50. Now he's reading decent-sized words and he's counting to a hundred - forward and backwards. To me, using the iPod Touch and Apps is no different than buying flashcards or other games to teach with. They're all tools.

The idea that someone using an iPod Touch or iPad is bad because it gives them an excuse to not parent, or teach their children themselves is crazy.

Guess what: that's a decision by the parent. And, even if their child didn't have an iDevice, that parent would probably be putting them in front of the TV and not interacting. The issue some of the people are talking about in this thread is about lazy parenting, which is present with or without iDevices.

I am 100% for using technology as a tool in education, especially early education. To me, saying that an iDevice becomes a barrier to interaction or a crutch, is like saying using computers is a crutch. Or adults with smartphones, communicating via Facebook, rather than in person.

It's all about moderation and understanding how to use technology. That's not an issue isolated to any facet of life, or age group.

I just think it's sad that people send so much time being divisive over supporting others. That doesn't serve anyone.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Well put.

No sources?

----------

Wow, this is getting pretty silly up in here. :)

I think it's bizarre how so many people like to pass judgement on the choices other parents make. WHY?! As parents, we all need to support each other and be open to hearing differing opinions. That's how you grow and learn. No one needs a stranger commenting on how they raise their children, based on one post in an Apple forum (and, if you're that person making snarky comments in this thread, way to jump to conclusions).

If you don't think children should have an iPod Touch, or an iPad, that's pretty simple: don't buy them one. But, likewise, don't pass judgment on parents who make a decision to use them.

Our son gets limited time on his iPod Touch and it's ONLY loaded with educational games - no movies, no recreational games. Most of the time that he has it, we are sitting together, learning about the alphabet, shapes, numbers, colors, animals, we're learning Spanish. When we started using it, he could read small words and he could count to 50. Now he's reading decent-sized words and he's counting to a hundred - forward and backwards. To me, using the iPod Touch and Apps is no different than buying flashcards or other games to teach with. They're all tools.

The idea that someone using an iPod Touch or iPad is bad because it gives them an excuse to not parent, or teach their children themselves is crazy.

Guess what: that's a decision by the parent. And, even if their child didn't have an iDevice, that parent would probably be putting them in front of the TV and not interacting. The issue some of the people are talking about in this thread is about lazy parenting, which is present with or without iDevices.

I am 100% for using technology as a tool in education, especially early education. To me, saying that an iDevice becomes a barrier to interaction or a crutch, is like saying using computers is a crutch. Or adults with smartphones, communicating via Facebook, rather than in person.

It's all about moderation and understanding how to use technology. That's not an issue isolated to any facet of life, or age group.

I just think it's sad that people send so much time being divisive over supporting others. That doesn't serve anyone.

People will always be judging everybody else. It's not the end of the world.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No sources?

Leslie J. Couse & Dora W. Chen, A Tablet Computer for Young Chlldren? Exploring Its Viability for Early Childhood Education, 43 Journal of Research on Technology in Education 75, 2010 (discussing the many ways technology, tablets in particular, enhance the learning experience for children ages 3-6).

Richard F. Schmid et al., A Human-Computer Partnership: The Tutor/Child/Computer Triangle Promoting the Acquisition of Early Literacy Skills, 41 Journal of Research on Technology in Education 63, 2008
(focusing on positive results of a study teaching 5-year-olds to read using a computer aid as a tool in addition to the tutor, as compared to using tutor alone).

Really that Journal above seems to have a myriad of good articles on the topic.

Even Sesame Workshop has a design guide on how to build the most effective and beneficial eductional apps for children; their guidelines in other areas of early childhood education are often considered the gold standard. http://www.sesameworkshop.org/assets/1191/src/Best Practices Document 11-26-12.pdf

... really I'm posting this for other people's benefits, that pdf above might be useful to some app developers on here. It seems pretty clear to me Brittany246 has no desire to change her narrow viewpoint.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Leslie J. Couse & Dora W. Chen, A Tablet Computer for Young Chlldren? Exploring Its Viability for Early Childhood Education, 43 Journal of Research on Technology in Education 75, 2010 (discussing the many ways technology, tablets in particular, enhance the learning experience for children ages 3-6).

Richard F. Schmid et al., A Human-Computer Partnership: The Tutor/Child/Computer Triangle Promoting the Acquisition of Early Literacy Skills, 41 Journal of Research on Technology in Education 63, 2008
(focusing on positive results of a study teaching 5-year-olds to read using a computer aid as a tool in addition to the tutor, as compared to using tutor alone).

Really that Journal above seems to have a myriad of good articles on the topic.

Even Sesame Workshop has a design guide on how to build the most effective and beneficial eductional apps for children; their guidelines in other areas of early childhood education are often considered the gold standard. http://www.sesameworkshop.org/assets/1191/src/Best Practices Document 11-26-12.pdf

... really I'm posting this for other people's benefits, that pdf above might be useful to some app developers on here. It seems pretty clear to me Brittany246 has no desire to change her narrow viewpoint.

The journal articles don't really back up your previous statement, but they'll do.

Of course I have no desire to change my view point. Why would I? I think it's ridiculous for a 2 year old to have their on iPad or iPod. Nothing you say is going to convince me otherwise. Everyone wants to say it's for learning. No, it's to keep your kids quiet. Electronic babysitters ftw.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
The journal articles don't really back up your previous statement, but they'll do.

Of course I have no desire to change my view point. Why would I? I think it's ridiculous for a 2 year old to have their on iPad or iPod. Nothing you say is going to convince me otherwise. Everyone wants to say it's for learning. No, it's to keep your kids quiet. Electronic babysitters ftw.

Your profile says you are 20-years-old. When I was a 20-year-old college student, I thought I knew everything as well. Let me tell you, as someone who has been in the real world much longer than you, you will change your views on many things, probably multiple times. It's easy to tell others how they should be doing something that you have never experienced yourself and have no clue about.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Your profile says you are 20-years-old. When I was a 20-year-old college student, I thought I knew everything as well. Let me tell you, as someone who has been in the real world much longer than you, you will change your views on many things, probably multiple times. It's easy to tell others how they should be doing something that you have never experienced yourself and have no clue about.

Glad you felt the need to look at my profile. I know I'll change my views many times in my life. I've already experienced that. Im pretty sure I'll always think its ridiculous to give a 2 year old their own iPad. Even if I were to change my opinion about this, it wouldn't be any time soon. I'm not telling people how to life their lives, and I'm not claiming to know everything. Are people not allowed to have an opinion just because they're not parents yet? I'm sharing my opinion, and you don't have to like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.