Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:17 AM   #51
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
If you have an enterprise account you should be shopping at Walmart anyway ha ha lol
Isn't it amazing that the most commonly missed word in typing on the internet is the word that would completely reverse the meaning of your comment?

'should not be'
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:15 PM   #52
Perfect Score
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loybond View Post
Must be a national thing with us, cuz I totally agree with you. $20 off and people are excited? WTF? Who cares when the monthly bill is 4x that? I was gonna bring up the percentage thing myself until I saw that you did.

If people have decided to buy anyway, sure, extra $20 back in the pocket, but sales usually exist to boost sales, and if $20 less convinces someone to go sign up for a 2-year contract, well... yeah.
Yup we're framing the choices in totally different ways.

He's thinking from "I'm gonna get the phone anyway so $20 off is $20 off."

I'm saying "If you don't buy the phone, you're saving $2000."

That's why marketing and sales gimmicks works
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:00 AM   #53
john123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Score View Post
Yup we're framing the choices in totally different ways.

He's thinking from "I'm gonna get the phone anyway so $20 off is $20 off."

I'm saying "If you don't buy the phone, you're saving $2000."

That's why marketing and sales gimmicks works
Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research. As I stated previously—and, I'll note, you were unable to articulate any sort of reply—you're creating a false dichotomy. Your argument presumes that some consumer is on the fence about whether or not to cancel their freaking cell phone contract versus buy an iPhone 5S. Are you unable to see how ludicrous that is? How that is NOT the choice pretty much ANY consumer is really making?

This is borderline exasperating, but I'll explain this one more time. The cell phone contract is a given. The $2000 is a sunk cost. The only questions are when to upgrade the phone and what phone to get. A user who has decided on an iPhone 5S right now can either choose to pay full retail ($199+upgrade+tax), or they can choose to save $10 by buying it at Walmart.

As before, $10 is $10. If you go around lighting Alexander Hamiltons on fire with glee, then I suppose it doesn't matter. If Walmart is for some reason inconvenient for you, or you have moral objections to buying products there, or they won't have the capacity or color you want, or you use something like a ShopDiscover discount on Apple.com, then there is also a reason to purchase your phone elsewhere. But otherwise, ceteris paribus (which is the phrase I used in my previous post—look it up, since you apparently don't know what it means), a rational consumer will go ahead and buy their phone at Walmart.

----------

Quote:
If people have decided to buy anyway, sure, extra $20 back in the pocket, but sales usually exist to boost sales, and if $20 less convinces someone to go sign up for a 2-year contract, well... yeah.
Per the above, virtually no one is being convinced to sign up for a 2-year contract who otherwise wouldn't by virtue of a sale. That isn't the contention whatsoever.

My respect for Canada has taken a real turn for the worse.
john123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #54
bostonsox
macrumors member

On a more serious note, anybody get BestBuy to price match walmart?
bostonsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:57 PM   #55
Bigdawg4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post
Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research. As I stated previously—and, I'll note, you were unable to articulate any sort of reply—you're creating a false dichotomy. Your argument presumes that some consumer is on the fence about whether or not to cancel their freaking cell phone contract versus buy an iPhone 5S. Are you unable to see how ludicrous that is? How that is NOT the choice pretty much ANY consumer is really making?

This is borderline exasperating, but I'll explain this one more time. The cell phone contract is a given. The $2000 is a sunk cost. The only questions are when to upgrade the phone and what phone to get. A user who has decided on an iPhone 5S right now can either choose to pay full retail ($199+upgrade+tax), or they can choose to save $10 by buying it at Walmart.

As before, $10 is $10. If you go around lighting Alexander Hamiltons on fire with glee, then I suppose it doesn't matter. If Walmart is for some reason inconvenient for you, or you have moral objections to buying products there, or they won't have the capacity or color you want, or you use something like a ShopDiscover discount on Apple.com, then there is also a reason to purchase your phone elsewhere. But otherwise, ceteris paribus (which is the phrase I used in my previous post—look it up, since you apparently don't know what it means), a rational consumer will go ahead and buy their phone at Walmart.

----------

Per the above, virtually no one is being convinced to sign up for a 2-year contract who otherwise wouldn't by virtue of a sale. That isn't the contention whatsoever.

You cant fix stupid!!! If you had no interest in discussing wether or not buying an iphone from walmart instead of the traditional tech stores then why are you here. There arent 2 sides to this discussion...you are all by yourself. It is a given the people on this thread were considering purchasing the 5s...the only person not discussing that is you, So pleaase move along so the grown ups can talk...
Bigdawg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:15 AM   #56
john123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg4 View Post
You cant fix stupid!!! If you had no interest in discussing wether or not buying an iphone from walmart instead of the traditional tech stores then why are you here. There arent 2 sides to this discussion...you are all by yourself. It is a given the people on this thread were considering purchasing the 5s...the only person not discussing that is you, So pleaase move along so the grown ups can talk...
Did you even read a word I wrote? Clearly not. Perhaps what I wrote was written at a level too sophisticated for you? Judging from your syntax, that seems to be the most likely hypothesis.

I wholeheartedly agree, however. You really can't fix stupid.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #57
Bigdawg4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did you even read a word I wrote? Clearly not. Perhaps what I wrote was written at a level too sophisticated for you? Judging from your syntax, that seems to be the most likely hypothesis.

I wholeheartedly agree, however. You really can't fix stupid.
John123...My response that you replied to was directed not at you but at the person you were arguing with. I was supporting you in this thread. Im sorry my response to him was too sophisticted for you.
Bigdawg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:52 AM   #58
john123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg4 View Post
John123...My response that you replied to was directed not at you but at the person you were arguing with. I was supporting you in this thread. Im sorry my response to him was too sophisticted for you.
Well don't I feel like the **** now.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #59
loybond
macrumors regular

LOL, you crack me up. "My internet opinion matters more than yours because I say have a fancy degree, so agree with me OR ELSE!" BTW, I have a fancy MBA from a top school as well. Completely meaningless crap.

Quote:
Get off your high horse. I have an MBA from one of the top two business schools in the USA, and a background in marketing research.
It says a lot about you that you let one or two people influence your point of view of an entire country. Gee, I wonder what would happen if people thought of Americans and the US that way?

Quote:
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:02 PM   #60
john123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
LOL, you crack me up.
You're welcome.

Quote:
"My internet opinion matters more than yours because I say have a fancy degree, so agree with me OR ELSE!" BTW, I have a fancy MBA from a top school as well. Completely meaningless crap.
Cute rant. Your blather aside, we aren't talking about "opinions." We're talking about core economic concepts that are taught in every university, combined with (gasp) common sense and logic.

Quote:
It says a lot about you that you let one or two people influence your point of view of an entire country. Gee, I wonder what would happen if people thought of Americans and the US that way?
Guess they didn't teach you snark in that allegedly "top" school you attended. But now that I recall the "Canada" part of your profile, I suppose I understand your indignation. If I lived in Canada, I'd be indignant too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion