Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:02 AM   #51
Appl3FTW
macrumors 65816

i don't mind jony having a new playground, he will do great as the lead.
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:02 AM   #52
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancrombie92 View Post
Could this be the future of Notes?

Comic sans should be removed from the earth

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:58 AM   #53
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Every time I use the notes app I think 'this looks nothing like my handwriting'. Man I loved Steve but his obsession with making software look like real world physical objects was just
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #54
Parise
macrumors 6502a

I'm confused... People are flipping out because a splash screen has been altered?

Take a xanax and relax lol
Parise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:02 PM   #55
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by karter16 View Post
Of course he's not doing everything himself - I didn't say that.

Look at the timeline though.

On the 30th (or thereabouts, I can't be bothered checking) Apple announce that Ive will assume the new responsibilities.

On the 1st Nov beta 1 of 6.1 is release

Two weeks later beta 2 is released... So what you are saying is that two weeks after it was announced that Ive would assume new responsibilities he is already implementing the look and feel (or experimentation thereof) of the 'new iOS'? Sorry but I find that hard to believe.

I agree that the new welcome screen is notably different, but then again so is the old one (text on black gradient) - it's the first thing I noticed when I first saw passbook in 6.0 was that it was a different 'look' to the rest of iOS. I think this is more of a case of a new feature finding it's footing and experimentation around it.

Also: I'm not disputing that it's fairly obvious that iOS design is going to go in a different direction with Jony in charge, and I'm excited for what that will look like. I just don't think that the new passbook screen has anything whatsoever to do with that...
Agree to disagree! See the comment below this reply. I don't think it is far fetched at all, even after only a couple weeks, to say that this new UI/UX for a better understanding of Passbook (a new feature that people have been confused about) was seen by Jony's eyes and he simple said, Okay, or try this or that, etc. That would take a whole 1 or 2 minutes. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
Well, there's definitely a noticeable difference in style when compared to other parts of iOS. How much of it Ive had anything to do with is certainly questionable, but if he's the one approving or disapproving artwork, it's only logical that he was somehow involved.

Remember, he's taking over Steve Jobs' duties in overseeing human interfaces. He's likely not designing them himself, he's just approving or disapproving based on his taste and/or zeal for perfection.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablojoe View Post
All I see is the one thing I hate: Ads. In this case, Target demanding my attention and imposing its branding in my face while I'm trying to use a device and app I paid for.
Haha, I don't know who took this screenshot, I got it off AppleInsider, but when you open Passbook there is nothing there, no ads, just this new welcome card! Whoever took the screen shot apparently had a Target card added already. So don't worry, calm down lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
If Scott Forstall is still around in any capacity how much influence does Ive have right now? My guess is we'll see his influence after Forstall leaves. Besides it's not like all of apples UIs have been skeuomrphic. But that's part of the problem - an inconsistent design language across iOS/iTunes/App Store. That's one of the things I hope Ive can fix. Get a cohesiveness of design across all of iOS.
Yes I want more uniformity as well. Honestly, I wish they would split iTunes into pieces in OS X and have Music, Movies, Podcasts, iBooks, iTunes U, iTunes Store, and ONE App Store like in iOS! I was hoping that would happen with the next iTunes update, but I guess it is not going to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Yup!

Quote:
Every time I use the notes app I think 'this looks nothing like my handwriting'. Man I loved Steve but his obsession with making software look like real world physical objects was just
I like clean design overall but I think some subtle hints of skeuomorphism that are functional are ok and can add character. But it has gotten out of control for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
I'm confused... People are flipping out because a splash screen has been altered?

Take a xanax and relax lol
No we are not flipping out. Just having a fun conversation and speculating on our excitement for some fresh ideas in iOS soon!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:28 PM   #56
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly123 View Post
I like clean design overall but I think some subtle hints of skeuomorphism that are functional are ok and can add character. But it has gotten out of control for sure!
I was at a Tableau software conference last week and this discussion came up at a cocktail party. A couple Tableau employees were making fun of some of the UI stuff in iOS and sadly I couldn't disagree. I don't know if I'd want to be Ive right now. As important as maps and Siri are everyone is going to zero in on what iOS (and other software) looks like. I have a feeling the expectation that it will be really different is huge.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:43 PM   #57
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I was at a Tableau software conference last week and this discussion came up at a cocktail party. A couple Tableau employees were making fun of some of the UI stuff in iOS and sadly I couldn't disagree. I don't know if I'd want to be Ive right now. As important as maps and Siri are everyone is going to zero in on what iOS (and other software) looks like. I have a feeling the expectation that it will be really different is huge.
Ya I'm not sure... It probably will get a lot of attention and there is quite a bit of pressure on iOS 7 already! I'm not sure how drastic the changes will be. Probably more refinements but lots of them. Same overall theories and user interaction but lots of cleaning up and refinements with some apps being redesigned and some new UI paradigms embraced with SDK support for devs.

That is my prediction

Last edited by MacFly123; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add
MacFly123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:32 PM   #58
GravityEyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
You forgot the other side of it: Any "bad" design decisions will somehow be attributed to Forstall, even 2 years down the road.

Just like how any good decisions Apple makes now are still attributed to Steve, while any bad ones are blamed on Tim.
Very true.
GravityEyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 PM   #59
wikus
Banned

Quote:
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss
Tell me this is a joke, right? That design looks like crap, worse than anything during the stone age from RIM.
wikus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:59 PM   #60
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Tell me this is a joke, right? That design looks like crap, worse than anything during the stone age from RIM.
A bit dramatic I think! lol
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #61
wikus
Banned

Quote:
A bit dramatic I think! lol
I only say it because I'm a graphic designer myself.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:46 PM   #62
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
I only say it because I'm a graphic designer myself.
Well that's great but so are the people that designed that. And they work for the most prolific technology company on earth that is notorious for beautiful design... Just sayin'.

Why don't you post a mockup of how you would do it
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:54 AM   #63
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
The other day Apple issued a new beta of iOS to devs.

I am going to go on record and say that the new Passbook welcome screen (below) is the first sneak peek into iOS UI/UX designed by Jony Ive's oversight!

What do you all think? Discuss
Looks nice
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:52 AM   #64
Ralfj
macrumors newbie

Looks tasty
Ralfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:31 AM   #65
Oui
Banned

Quote:
Well that's great but so are the people that designed that. And they work for the most prolific technology company on earth that is notorious for beautiful design... Just sayin'.
And the same can be said for its current design.
So why all the hate for that then hmmm.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:00 PM   #66
irDigital0l

iOS 7 needs to be a surprise.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:12 PM   #67
brendu
macrumors 68000

iOS 7 needs to unify all elements of the UI. There are way too many different schemes and styles within iOS and I hope they can fix that. And please, please get rid of the gray blue color of safari and so many other things in iOS on the iPhone. It looks so much better on iPad with the silver/gray look. I am actually a big fan of the new black look of the App Store. I would like to see that spread to the other apps.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:17 PM   #68
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
And the same can be said for its current design.
So why all the hate for that then hmmm.
No hate here. I am just noting that there is a difference in style hence my suspicion that Jony had some sort of oversight and input by this point.

However this new one is more clear and better from a UX point of view.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6