Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Accidentally Selected Netboot for startup.

Greetings. I'm new to this forum. Would greatly appreciate it if u guys can offer me some advise.

I've this old iBook G4, running on MacOS 9 which I just it just for torrent downloads. I recently made a mistake by selecting Network Startup (dumb@ss mistake) and I restart.

And at startup, all I got was a blinking globe, and after a while it turn into a blinking folder with a question mark.

So I did the next best thing by restarting a system restore CD by pressing C on restart. It totally did not work. Still I get this blinking globe.

I did all sorts of stuff, like removing the battery, I even when to and extend to remove the RAM. That didn't work either.

So now, I'm totally baffled. The bloody blinking globe just won't go away.

Pls help.
skyler88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Baklava
macrumors 6502

Press opt on start-up and select your HD.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwali View Post
Press opt on start-up and select your HD.
Thanks for yr reply.

I did that, all I got was a pic of a lock, a bar to type (for password?) and a arrow pic.

Can u pls elaborate further. I do apologise, I suck at this sort of stuff.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Nermal

In that case, you have a firmware password set. If you don't know the password then you'll need to remove one stick of RAM then reboot while holding Cmd-Opt-P-R. Keep holding until it chimes three times.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
In that case, you have a firmware password set. If you don't know the password then you'll need to remove one stick of RAM then reboot while holding Cmd-Opt-P-R. Keep holding until it chimes three times.
Thanks for yr reply.

As I mentioned earlier, I did removed the RAM, then holding down Cmd-Opt-P-R and restart. Before it can even chime, it when to the blinking globe again.

I also tried pressing Cmd-Opt-O-F. And that also requires a password, which I don't have. Heck, I didn't even set up any password for the firmware. It just came with the mac when I bought it, which I was totally unaware of.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler88 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I did removed the RAM
Yes, saw that, but it was unclear whether you put it straight back in again. You need to hold Cmd-Opt-P-R on the first boot after adding or removing RAM, so if you took some out earlier then put it back in and hold down the keys.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, saw that, but it was unclear whether you put it straight back in again. You need to hold Cmd-Opt-P-R on the first boot after adding or removing RAM, so if you took some out earlier then put it back in and hold down the keys.
Sorry about that. What I did was removed my RAM, restart while Cmd-Opt-P-R (I still got the globe), shutdown, put back RAM, restart again while Cmd-Opt-P-R. And still got the globe.

It's really frustrating. Why can't it boot with my system restore CD?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler88 View Post
Sorry about that. What I did was removed my RAM, restart while Cmd-Opt-P-R (I still got the globe), shutdown, put back RAM, restart again while Cmd-Opt-P-R. And still got the globe.

It's really frustrating. Why can't it boot with my system restore CD?
Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest then. You can't boot from CD because you have a password set; the purpose of a firmware password is to prevent booting from a device other than the one set in the Startup Disk control panel. That's also why it's not defaulting back to the hard drive after failing to find a Netboot server.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest then. You can't boot from CD because you have a password set; the purpose of a firmware password is to prevent booting from a device other than the one set in the Startup Disk control panel. That's also why it's not defaulting back to the hard drive after failing to find a Netboot server.
You've been most helpful. Thank you very much.

If you or anyone can offer me some assistance. I would appreciate it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:57 AM   #10
skyler88
macrumors newbie

Bump

----------

FYI, is there anyway I can 'force' initialise the HDD? I've nothing important inside this Mac.

Pls. help.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:05 AM   #11
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Something does not add up here, you say you used it in OS 9 yet now it is asking for a firmware password at startup which you yourself didn't set.

How the hell did you start up before, you can't startup at all if the firmware password is set and you do not input the password in ANY OS.

Kinda fishy here.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help