Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well Guys, I am mad, dissapointed and don't have confident on apple employees anymore to troubleshoot my mac pro. They cannnot fix it. I have taken to them four time already and cannot resolve the issue with fan running at full speed. I already had my mac pro for almost more than a year now. Thank goodnes i bought apple care on it, it will expire March 2014.
Story of my Mac pro.

1. First the power supply was going bad and they replaced it with the logic board, and motherboard, also they forgot to serialize the motherboard. I was happy, Then the Fan problem started after that, Never had a fan problem before but until they replace the parts that's when the fan issue started.

2. 2nd visit they took it the fan did turn and run at full speed on them while troubleshooting it on the genius bar. So they took in for service. After they call me to pick it up couple of days later. So they said it is fix. I was happy,

3. Then a day later the fan started running at full speed when i was just browsing the internet. So i schedule another appointment with apple store, and it did run again at full speed at the genius bar. This time i told them If they don't fix it i will not take back and they will need to replace it with another machine. So the guy the guy told me they are going to fix it this time. So this time i called them and they said it was ready for pick up which was today 1/25/2013. So after work i when and pick it and got home

4. After i got home i plug in all my cables ready to work on some video that i needed to finish in Adobe premiere, Then suddently not even 5 minutes that the mac was turn on the Fan started running at full speed. I started @#&*#@ for couple of minutes and called the Store immediatly and i told them that i just pick it up and still the same problem fan is still running at full speed. This time i ask to talk to a manager and the manage showed up which younger then me i told him that i don't want to take this mac back and to replace it. I lost confident on apple and the employees that they can't fix this mac pro. I told him i want it replace i am not going to take it back because it is a bad apple defective unit. Then he said that the Senior Manager will have check it also. Then i told then bring the senior manager so i can talk to him. But he said he is not here today. So i told him what time will he be here tomorrow. I told him i will call tomorrow and request to talk to a Senior manager.

Sorry for the lenghty story but i had enough with mac pro and i just want to throw it out of the window. I might just go back to windows again, Since i been having problem with the mac pro. So Guys any advise of what should i do next if they don't want to replace the whole unit.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
The front fan they even replace the fan . The fan by the cpu it is a mac pro5, 1

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Every product range has a true lemon made sooner or later, if not regularly. Your MacPro sounds like a complete failure. I'd suggest writing a very persistent, but polite, letter to Apple describing the problems and pushing them to switch out your entire Pro.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I had a mac pro several years ago with an audio problem. They replaced the system board twice and it still persisted. I asked for a new one and they gave me not only a new mac pro, but the current model. I was floored.

Ask for a new one, tell them you've been patient but they haven't been able to fix it and you need a machine that functions properly. Say please.

I would guess you'll get a new machine.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
That's what I am aiming for. A new mac pro. Mine is a bad apple. They don't just want to replace it

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I'd be asking for a replacement 12-core either new or refurb.
12-core only because you now need to catch up on all the lost work time due to their errors in fixing it right after multiple attempts.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
I'd be asking for a replacement 12-core either new or refurb.
12-core only because you now need to catch up on all the lost work time due to their errors in fixing it right after multiple attempts.

Well guys, They are going to replace it. So far i don't know what they are going to replace it with. So far they did not tell me too which one they are replacing it too. So far they said if the same spec like mine is not available then they will to the next one better than mine that will meet the spec but not lower. So i hope i get a good replacement version and hope it is not a refurbish. I am kind of happy now. Also i got it in writing instead just taking their word for it.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
well guys here is new specs Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro Mid 2012. Just need to call in Monday to switch apple care from the old to this new one. I am so happy. i was checking i got a new mac that will cost $3,799.00. sweet.

Last edited:

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Here is a screenshot of my MAC PRO

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 8.56.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 8.56.29 PM.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 231

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't know what the issue is, but my MP had the same issue resulting in a full replacement as well. Glad it's fixed.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Let Me know how can i improve this score. Is it good in replacing all the HDD with SSD.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.45.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.45.17 PM.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.48.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.48.31 PM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.49.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 9.49.03 PM.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 199

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Interestingly my Mac Pro had the same issue. They fixed it by replacing basically everything
-Power supply
-Motherboard
-Daughter card
-Both processors
-Both heat sinks

Bill of materials was around $4500 :)eek:), though this was done the last week before my AppleCare expired.

They said they suspected it was one of the processors had failed because the computer did not exhibit any issues when they ran it with only one of the processors, but as a precaution they replaced everything since my AppleCare was expiring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.