Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
jrm27
macrumors 6502

My USB ports are toast... need some advice.

Hello all,

I've got a brand new macbookpro 15 that has been a bit of a hassle. About two weeks ago the USB ports stopped working. My firewire and thunderbolt ports are fine, but the usb is not. When I took it in, they sent it in for repair. However, upon opening it they found liquid damage. Someone had spilled a soda on a table while I was working (after the USB ports stopped working). I thought the soda was only underneath the computer before being quickly cleaned up, but apparently some worked its way in. This voided the warranty and has made the fix (new logic board) impossible for me due to cost. So... now I'm kind of screwed.

All my data is kept on external USB drives and I have no way to access them. As far as I know, there are no Firewire 800 to USB hubs. Anyone have an idea on what I can do to still use my external drives?

-jon

Last edited by jrm27; Jun 6, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
jrm27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

If it is a 17" MBP, it is from 2011 or 2010 or 2009 or 2008 or 2007 or 2006, since Apple discontinued the 17" MBP and did not update it in 2013, therefore it cannot be brand new.

As for having access to USB, you could either get an ExpressCard with USB ports or get a Thunderbolt dock (more expensive than the ExpressCard) with USB ports or you could dismantle the USB drives and put the HDDs in a Firewire 800 HDD enclosure or even dock (not easy to find though).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
jrm27
macrumors 6502

my apologies, it is a 15. I'm not sure why I typed 17! whoops.

I've seen the thunderbolt dock, but not the express cards. I don't think my laptop has that capability? At least where I am thinking I should see one, there is an SD card reader.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm27 View Post
my apologies, it is a 15. I'm not sure why I typed 17! whoops.

I've seen the thunderbolt dock, but not the express cards. I don't think my laptop has that capability? At least where I am thinking I should see one, there is an SD card reader.
The ExpressCard slot is only available in the 17" MBP and 2006-2008 15" MBPs, thus the Thunderbolt Dock or removal of HDDs and putting them in a Firewire 800 enclosure (the are multi-bay enclosures like the Drobo with Firewire 800 and even Thunderbolt) is the solution your are left with, unless you could also use an NAS (Network Attached Storage) enclosure to put the HDDs in and then connect the NAS to your router via Gigabit Ethernet and connect your Mac via Gigabit Ethernet to the router. But a NAS is a bit more complicated due to configurations and such.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Your USB ports are not toast. Just Reset Your PRAM and they should work again. See if that helps.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Your USB ports are not toast. Just Reset Your PRAM and they should work again. See if that helps.
I'm not aware you could fix things by reset your PRAM on USB circuitry spilled by soda water.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
jrm27
macrumors 6502

wel, the usb ports were hashed before the soda incident. I had taken it in after the problem surfaced and then brought the laptop home as I needed it for work. In the two week space between taking it home and then bringing it back for repair, there was the spilled soda incident. So, the soda and USB ports are unrelated at this point.

Tried a PRAM reset both on my own and at the apple store. No dice.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

I think your only realistic option is to bite the bullet and get the logic board replaced.

One piece of advice (please don't take it the wrong way):
NEXT time you get a new Macbook, don't leave it sitting in places where it's vulnerable to damage -- even if you're just away for a couple of minutes.

It's worth too much for that risk.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:08 PM   #9
jrm27
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the insight all. yes, further caution is due in the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations for non-apple repair businesses? I'm wondering if their might be some folks I should try and send this in to, that way I can save some money on the logic board replacement. Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help