Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
toronado455
macrumors regular

Windows 7 can see but not access OS X share

In OS X, Windows sharing is on and I have "Shared folder" checked on the folders I want to share. OS X can access shared folders on the Windows box, but Windows can't access the OS X shared folders. Windows prompts for a "network password". I don't know what that would be, but I set up user accounts on both machines with the same user names and passwords. I've tried entering these credentials but nothing ever works.
toronado455 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
toronado455
macrumors regular

Got this (sort of) working...

I believe the problem is that OS X isn't on the same workgroup (or ANY workgroup) as the Windows box.

In OS X, System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > WINS tab:
If I enter the NetBIOS name of the OS X computer and the name of the Windows Workgroup (default "WORKGROUP") click OK, then Apply, this fixes it and Windows can access the shares on OS X and doesn't prompt for a network password.

But it is only a temporary fix. Rebooting OS X clears out the values I entered in the WINS tab, even if I have "clicked the lock to prevent further changes".

I'm not even sure that this is the correct place to designate a Windows Workgroup name on OS X. Anyone know?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

You likely are just running into an issue with changes MS made in Vista's networking that still exist today. Try the following from Post #8 in the thread below. The bottom of the post was updated for there being no Local Security Policy in the Home version of Windows.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...7+file+sharing
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:02 AM   #4
toronado455
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityg4 View Post
You likely are just running into an issue with changes MS made in Vista's networking that still exist today. Try the following from Post #8 in the thread below. The bottom of the post was updated for there being no Local Security Policy in the Home version of Windows.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...7+file+sharing
OK, yeah, thanks. I think I found your thread when I was searching for answers.

But what I really would like to know now is, on the OS X side, why don't the values I enter into the WINS tab stick?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with Vista or Win 7. This has to do with the fact that Apple dumped SMB due to licensing issues and uses a home baked SMB client that does not work well and is buggy. Like the fact that it does not show mounted SMB shares anymore in the left side of finder. The WINS bug is just one of many. If you have a domain controller, join the macs and the pc to the same domain sometimes helps. Sometimes you need to turn off file sharing and then fix the wins and then turn your file sharing back on. I have contacted Apple many times about this...you should as well.
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
toronado455
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamacthing View Post
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with Vista or Win 7. This has to do with the fact that Apple dumped SMB due to licensing issues and uses a home baked SMB client that does not work well and is buggy. Like the fact that it does not show mounted SMB shares anymore in the left side of finder. The WINS bug is just one of many. If you have a domain controller, join the macs and the pc to the same domain sometimes helps. Sometimes you need to turn off file sharing and then fix the wins and then turn your file sharing back on. I have contacted Apple many times about this...you should as well.
Wow. So what does Apple expect us to do? Buy OS X server?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post
Wow. So what does Apple expect us to do? Buy OS X server?
No, OS X server has the same problems. Samba changed to the GPLv3 license and apple did not accept the license, so they made their own SMB implementation.

The easiest way to fix this is to setup an old computer as a WINS server for your local network and the OS X box can pull those wins values from the server on boot.
alexrmc92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:24 PM   #8
toronado455
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrmc92 View Post
No, OS X server has the same problems. Samba changed to the GPLv3 license and apple did not accept the license, so they made their own SMB implementation.

The easiest way to fix this is to setup an old computer as a WINS server for your local network and the OS X box can pull those wins values from the server on boot.
Wow. This sucks. Why does Apple's SMB implementation have to suck so bad? I don't want to be running an old computer all the time just to fix this.

What if I entered a "dummy" IP address into the WINS servers list? Would that work LOL? All that's needed is for OS X to know the name of the workgroup it is supposed to be on. As long as it knows that, everything works.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:42 PM   #9
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado455 View Post
Wow. This sucks. Why does Apple's SMB implementation have to suck so bad? I don't want to be running an old computer all the time just to fix this.

What if I entered a "dummy" IP address into the WINS servers list? Would that work LOL? All that's needed is for OS X to know the name of the workgroup it is supposed to be on. As long as it knows that, everything works.
unfortunately no, you have to remember that apple had to write their smb code from scratch starting with lion. Maybe it's based on an old samba version though, not really sure.

perhaps you could put together a script to add the workgroup name at boot up?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
toronado455
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrmc92 View Post
unfortunately no, you have to remember that apple had to write their smb code from scratch starting with lion. Maybe it's based on an old samba version though, not really sure.

perhaps you could put together a script to add the workgroup name at boot up?
OK, I suppose I can try to be a bit forgiving of Apple then.
I like your idea about the startup script as a workaround. I used to write scripts in AppleScript years ago, maybe I can devise something.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:42 PM   #11
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

Mavericks and the new OS X Server should solve your problems hopefully. SMB2.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, JetStream Gigabit, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 04:23 PM   #12
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
Mavericks and the new OS X Server should solve your problems hopefully. SMB2.
Which is a big reason i am looking forward to mavericks! Maybe we will get some other nifty things as well. We can only hope.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking