Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteamyDinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
In iTunes 10, iTunes Match did not allow you to upload smart playlists that reference other playlists.

Has anyone with iTunes 11 tried this? I would try it myself, but I let my Match subscription lapse because I make heavy use of nested playlists, which makes this limitation a deal breaker.

Thanks to anyone who can report back whether this limitation still exists in iTunes 11!

Last edited:

SteamyDinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Could someone with Match do a test on this? Here's how to do it:

Create a smart playlist by clicking the + icon in the lower left corner of the iTunes window and select "New Smart Playlist".

Once the dialog pops up, just add two conditions, each of which is "Playlist is [insert playlist]."

Make sure to change "All" to "Any" so that the list is sure to populate with songs. It will look like this:

Nested.png
Once you do that, the list will show up in your sidebar (you can turn that on with View->Show Sidebar). When you do this, does the playlist have the "cloud with a slash through it" icon that signifies content that can't be uploaded to iTunes Match?

Or does it upload to iTunes Match like a normal playlist and show up on your other devices?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bayxsonic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
I can confirm iTunes Match still does not sync smart playlists referencing other playlists.

It was a deal breaker when I first tried it…

SteamyDinkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Resurrecting an old thread in the dim hope that iTunes Match somehow now supports smart playlists that reference another playlist.

Has anyone tried this recently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.