Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
After contemplating the new iPhone 5 and some of the better alternatives I made my decision.

I was frustrated for the past few weeks and that frustration built to anger as I toss my old iPhone 4 across the room and broke the screen.

$149 later and I got me a new ( well refurb ) iPhone 4

I can once again make voice calls so I am happy.

New phone - no contract extension - I'm good.

Who knows maybe some day Apple will wake up, offer an iPhone with a more viable larger screen and I will buy that.

Until that time it will have to be out of warranty replacements! :D

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well, your "new" phone is just the same as your old one. You didn't really.. umm.. upgrade.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
So Sparky, lets just recap here...

You got angry.
You broke your phone on purpose.
You spent $150 to replace the phone you broke yourself.

Uh, ok.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,207

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
After contemplating the new iPhone 5 and some of the better alternatives I made my decision.

I was frustrated for the past few weeks and that frustration built to anger as I toss my old iPhone 4 across the room and broke the screen.

Who knows maybe some day Apple will wake up, offer an iPhone with a more viable larger screen and I will buy that.

Bigger screen is unlikely. Try the Galaxy S3 if you want a large screen.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The five stages of insanity:

Shock and disbelieve on whatever unhappiness with I5
Anger and Frustration.
Acceptance after finding out no alternatives.
Elation after all I can make voice calls again!

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Well, your "new" phone is just the same as your old one. You didn't really.. umm.. upgrade.

Did I say anything about upgrading?

On the other hand I did turn in a iPhone that was not functioning properly electronically before I broke it physically and got one that does, so I guess in a sense that was an upgrade.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to accidentally break an iPhone on purpose? :D

----------

So Sparky, lets just recap here...

You got angry.
You broke your phone on purpose.
You spent $150 to replace the phone you broke yourself.

Uh, ok.

Firs the phone had an intermittent problem.

Apple could not duplicate so they sent me on my way.

Went back with a problem they could verify.

Replacement acquired.

Now if I so desired I can sell that WORKING PHONE, make a small profit and do what I want! :D

----------

Does your money grow on trees?

It's my money to do with as I please, but thanks for caring! :p

----------

Looking at EBAY

I will be able to get anywhere from $250 ( up to $370 ) and up for this ....

LIKE NEW IPHONE 4 BLACK 32GB

Broken ones are getting $150

I think I'll make out just fine! :D

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Big mistake on the 4, you should have got the 5 for SO many reasons. Anyway you will probably not be able to get barely anything out of iOS7 lol.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Big mistake on the 4, you should have got the 5 for SO many reasons. Anyway you will probably not be able to get barely anything out of iOS7 lol.

So you think spending $150 for a phone that I will sell for $250 +++ was a mistake?

Keep in mind I could not sell the original phone because it had an intermittent problem so I had two choices.......

#1 - Keep broken phone and spend $399 for a new one.

#2 - Spend $150 for new one, sell it on Ebay for $250 +++, making a profit of at least $100 then paying the difference for a new phone.

At the end of this a $399 phone will cost me less than $299

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
So you think spending $150 for a phone that I will sell for $250 +++ was a mistake?

Keep in mind I could not sell the original phone because it had an intermittent problem so I had two choices.......

#1 - Keep broken phone and spend $399 for a new one.

#2 - Spend $150 for new one, sell it on Ebay for $250 +++, making a profit of at least $100 then paying the difference for a new phone.

At the end of this a $399 phone will cost me less than $299

hmmm yeah financially speaking that is a good move.

ibleedgolden

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
You said that even broken ones are going for $150 on ebay, right? If that's true, why didn't you just sell your original (pre-broken) iPhone 4 for $150 or more. Seems like that would have been the more financially prudent move.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
You said that even broken ones are going for $150 on ebay, right? If that's true, why didn't you just sell your original (pre-broken) iPhone 4 for $150 or more. Seems like that would have been the more financially prudent move.

Condition is everything ......

Up to $150 in " pristine looking " condition.

I found one that sold for $150 but it had 'liquid damage', LOOKED " brand new " also it had a over $100 in accessories.

Cracked/broken glass was even less.

My glass front and back looked like someone dragged it through a sandpile for months not to mention the additional problems.

Even if I do not sell it, I have a much better phone than I did before and more importantly NO CONTRACT!

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I am guessing your warranty expired? Mine had an intermittent home button issue and when my wife brought it to an Apple store it was acting fine (of course). The guy replaced it anyways, no questions asked.. had one month left to go on my warranty luckily.

----------

Do you have any idea how hard it is to accidentally break an iPhone on purpose? :D

----------

Dip it in water.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.