Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last week, I had the good fortune to obtain a coffee which came from Ethiopia - it came in a tin, labelled 'Sidamo' (which Mr Google helpfully informs me is simply another name - the name of the region - for where beans we know as our old 'Yirgacheffe' come from.)

Predictably delicious.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Last week, I had the good fortune to obtain a coffee which came from Ethiopia - it came in a tin, labelled 'Sidamo' (which Mr Google helpfully informs me is simply another name - the name of the region - for where beans we know as our old 'Yirgacheffe' come from.)

Predictably delicious.

Well, I'm going to make a few cups of my Yrgacheffe Konga today. I'll be gone from home (and thus from good coffee) for about a week, so I better get my fix in.:cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I'm going to make a few cups of my Yrgacheffe Konga today. I'll be gone from home (and thus from good coffee) for about a week, so I better get my fix in.:cool:

Enjoy your well earned fix of Yrgacheffe Konga; know that I'm envious, not least because I have finished my own supply, and must set out for a spot of hunting or otherwise tracking down of some Ethiopian coffee.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As I am sure to have previously mentioned, I am on the subscription service from Blue Bottle and was notified the other day that this week's shipment is en route. This week it is The Three African's blend that several of us sampled last year with our friend Kurwenal.

I remember liking the blend and look forward to it again.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I am sure to have previously mentioned, I am on the subscription service from Blue Bottle and was notified the other day that this week's shipment is en route. This week it is The Three African's blend that several of us sampled last year with our friend Kurwenal.

I remember liking the blend and look forward to it again.

Ah, excellent, and really very nice to see you back with us.

Remind us again exactly what the 'Three Africans' Blend' (or is it Three African's?) actually is and what the three countries in question are.

Above all, do please let us know what the coffee is like. I suppose that what I really would like to know is whether or not Ethiopian coffee (my new favourite) makes an appearance in this mix.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ah, excellent, and really very nice to see you back with us.

Remind us again exactly what the 'Three Africans' Blend' (or is it Three African's?) actually is and what the three countries in question are.

Above all, do please let us know what the coffee is like. I suppose that what I really would like to know is whether or not Ethiopian coffee (my new favourite) makes an appearance in this mix.

From their website description:
Three Africans
Uganda & Ethiopia

This coffee is generally a blend of Ugandan and two different Ethiopian coffees, which produce a big, chocolaty aroma. It excels in either the French press or the moka pot. Unlike some of our fancy-shmancy single origins, which tend to be nichey and polarizing, this blend has a very easy-to-like personality, good body, unthreatening complexity, and reasonably clean aftertaste. The Ethiopians – a Yirgacheffe and dry-processed Sidamo – leave subtle imprints of dried blueberries and cardamom, and clean up the slightly raisiny aftertaste of the Ugandan. A fairly dark roast, this inclusive blend will take milk or cream quite well. Some say damn well.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From their website description:

Not just one but two Ethiopian coffees! Wow.

While, often, the descriptive paragraph which accompanies a coffee and which supplies details of the coffee in question can be a bit baffling, not to mention downright disingenuous (and/or hyperbolic), this is one of those rare descriptions which has my mouth watering……

Sounds delicious. Enjoy it….

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Not just one but two Ethiopian coffees! Wow.

While, often, the descriptive paragraph which accompanies a coffee and which supplies details of the coffee in question can be a bit baffling, not to mention downright disingenuous (and/or hyperbolic), this is one of those rare descriptions which has my mouth watering……

Sounds delicious. Enjoy it….

Did you order your beans from theethiopiancoffeecompany.co.uk yet?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great, let us know how you like them!

Okay, an update - a coffee ordering update:

It is lashing rain this afternoon - I paid a rapid visit to the farmers' market earlier today, for my weekly fix of organic shopping.

Now, this evening I have just submitted an order to 'The Ethiopian Coffee Company'. Earlier, I had tried to reach them by phone - I was so looking forward to discussing these matters with fellow enthusiasts for Ethiopian coffee products (and about Ethiopian coffee producers).

Anyway, I ordered four to try out.

1. The Sidamo Guji 1 Deri Kojao.

2. Yirgacheffe Aricha.

3. Sidamo 1 Kebado.

And the fourth is a blend of three (each and all unknown to me until I read the details on this site) Ethiopian beans from three different regions, (Limu, Lekempti, and Djimma) which goes by the name of:

4. Abba Jiffar's Royal Blend.

As The Ehiopian Coffee Company is UK based, the cost of postage will not be the horror story I have become used to when ordering products from the US.

Anyway, I will let you all know when the coffee arrives and what it tastes like.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Okay, an update - a coffee ordering update:

It is lashing rain this afternoon - I paid a rapid visit to the farmers' market earlier today, for my weekly fix of organic shopping.

Now, this evening I have just submitted an order to 'The Ethiopian Coffee Company'. Earlier, I had tried to reach them by phone - I was so looking forward to discussing these matters with fellow enthusiasts for Ethiopian coffee products (and about Ethiopian coffee producers).

Anyway, I ordered four to try out.

1. The Sidamo Guji 1 Deri Kojao.

2. Yirgacheffe Aricha.

3. Sidamo 1 Kebado.

And the fourth is a blend of three (each and all unknown to me until I read the details on this site) Ethiopian beans from three different regions, (Limu, Lekempti, and Djimma) which goes by the name of:

4. Abba Jiffar's Royal Blend.

As The Ehiopian Coffee Company is UK based, the cost of postage will not be the horror story I have become used to when ordering products from the US.

Anyway, I will let you all know when the coffee arrives and what it tastes like.

Excellent. Poking around their website I got the impression they may be doing a very nice job. And it seems their prices for roasted beans aren't quite as inflated as some of their counterparts across the pond.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent. Poking around their website I got the impression they may be doing a very nice job. And it seems their prices for roasted beans aren't quite as inflated as some of their counterparts across the pond.

That very point also struck me; now, granted, I have no issue with paying impoverished farmers who produce a high quality product (ecologically, organically etc) not only a fair price, but a high price. (Some of Intelligentsia's recent offerings clocked in at over $35 per quarter kilo).

On this occasion, not only is the coffee priced agreeably (although that is not my quibble) but the transport is commendably reasonable (okay, the question of distance is negligible in this instance).

However, the upshot of it all is that it seems that I have paid a lot less for these four coffees than I have paid for what seem to be a similar quality product from the US.

Anyway, the true test is that of taste: I will let you know what my thoughts and findings are when the coffee puts in a welcome appearance.

Re choosing, I read the accompanying piece to each of the coffee beans on offer and decided to stick with coffee that I know I will most likely love - i.e. the stuff from the tried and trusted regions that I know produce wonderful coffee, - such as - Sidamo and Yirgacheffe, rather than trying to sample something too radically new.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

That very point also struck me; now, granted, I have no issue with paying impoverished farmers who produce a high quality product (ecologically, organically etc) not only a fair price, but a high price. (Some of Intelligentsia's recent offerings clocked in at over $35 per quarter kilo).

On this occasion, not only is the coffee priced agreeably (although that is not my quibble) but the transport is commendably reasonable (okay, the question of distance is negligible in tis instance).

However, the upshot of it all is that it seems that I have paid a lot less for these four coffees than I have paid for what seem to be a similar quality product from the US.

Anyway, the true test is that of taste: I will let you know what my thoughts and findings are when the coffee puts in a welcome appearance.

Re choosing, I read the accompanying piece to each of the coffee beans on offer and decided to stick with coffee that I know I will most likely love - i.e. the stuff from the tried and trusted regions that I know produce wonderful coffee, - such as - Sidamo and Yirgacheffe, rather than trying to sample something too radically new.

I wholeheartedly agree that the wonderful farmers should be paid well. However, I'm inclined to believe that Sweet Maria's pays fairly for their beans, and I buy green from them at $6-$7/lb. This gives me pause when Blue Bottle sells the same beans post-roast for, well, quite a lot more. Thus, all I can hope is that they pay their employees well.

I suppose it would be too much to hope the employees actually own a share of the operation...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wholeheartedly agree that the wonderful farmers should be paid well. However, I'm inclined to believe that Sweet Maria's pays fairly for their beans, and I buy green from them at $6-$7/lb. This gives me pause when Blue Bottle sells the same beans post-roast for, well, quite a lot more. Thus, all I can hope is that they pay their employees well.

I suppose it would be too much to hope the employees actually own a share of the operation...

Agreed.

I hadn't realised that there was such a difference concerning price from Blue Bottle and those charged by Sweet Maria's.

Yes, it would be very nice indeed to think that high prices might lead to a situation where employees and producers are well paid. Well, perhaps we can live in hope.

Now, when I phoned The Ethiopian Coffee Company earlier this afternoon, nobody answered the phone - well, Saturday afternoon is Saturday afternoon, so I proceeded to make a checklist of what I thought would interest me, - tick it off - and then order that online.

Anyway, we shall see. But, I will say that as Ethiopian coffee has - very much - become my current favourite coffee (I even bought a blend which includes Ethiopian coffee to see me through the fallow period of the coming days while I await the post), I am looking forward to taking delivery of this parcel when it arrives…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Meanwhile, - that is while awaiting the coffees I have ordered from The Ethiopian Coffee Company - I bought a highly regarded blend which is a mix of Ethiopian, Sumatran and Brazilian coffees (all ethically sourced) as a stop gap.

Smooth and easy, (the accompanying tasting notes say 'smooth and creamy' with which I wouldn't disagree), and makes a perfectly enjoyable drink.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I scored a BIG Chemex (folks might recall I had the small[ist] model), talking a 10 cup beast :D Fantastic, was able to make ~28-30oz this morning.

I got a small handled Hario ceramic grinder. Used it on a Friday, once it got primed and I got the grind dialed in, it worked great. Probably reserve it for small pots.

I plan on taking the grinder and small Chemex on a trip coming up, so I'll at least have some good coffee on the road (not sure about the water/heating situation, I'll figure that out on the other end) :cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I scored a BIG Chemex (folks might recall I had the small[ist] model), talking a 10 cup beast :D Fantastic, was able to make ~28-30oz this morning.

I got a small handled Hario ceramic grinder. Used it on a Friday, once it got primed and I got the grind dialed in, it worked great. Probably reserve it for small pots.

I plan on taking the grinder and small Chemex on a trip coming up, so I'll at least have some good coffee on the road (not sure about the water/heating situation, I'll figure that out on the other end) :cool:

Excellent.

How do you find the Chemex? Or, rather, how different do you find the coffee it makes from the coffee that, say, a French Press makes? Which do you prefer?

And which do you prefer - the large Chemex or a your smaller model? I have it in mind to buy a Chemex at some stage fairly soon.

And re the Hario grinder, is this a manual grinder, or is it powered by some other force? Which, in turn, begs the question of how identified the grind setting you needed to dial in? Does it have numbers on the rings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.