Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kchirayus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I had this external hard drive for 6 months now. Today I was using my computer like usual with the hard drive plugged in when suddenly it shows a dialog saying that my external hard drive has been incorrectly removed.

I haven't been able to use my hard drive since. When I plug it in, there's no running noise, the hard drive doesn't show up on the desktop or in the disk utilities. The LED activity light on the hard drive is out too.

Please help, lots of important data on it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Either the enclosure or the HDD itself could have died.

You could remove the HDD from its enclosure and try it in a different one (USB <> SATA adapters can be had for 10 €) and see, if that works.

If that does not work, you have to contact WD about your warranty. I do not know, what WD's warranty says about data recovery or similar, but I presume, that it is not covered and they will probably just send you a replacement.

If you have an experienced computer repair store nearby, you could also employ their help.

And for the future, as backing up is important:
I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog), libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Just bought exactly one of these the other day and it works fine for my MBA. I store my entire Aperture library on it backed up to a 4TB drive at home.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Go into Disk Utility and see if it's picked up the drive but is showing as unmounted. If so, try to mount it, also try to Verify Disk.

mctintin

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
I know it might be obvious, but have you tried a new lead for the HDD in case it's the cause of the failure.

The other option have you tried some other device in the USB, in case the port has lost power

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.