Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the Apple TV be included in the buyer's guide?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
I'm aware that the previous reason for not including the Apple TV in the buyers guide was that it was a "hobby", and there wasn't a timeline to base future releases on. But at this point, there have been numerous releases, and several different revisions. However, a quick look at the buyers guide shows the ipad mini, which has only one release.
Now it seems like you folks are just kinda being stubborn about it.
It's an official apple device with several versions, so seriously why not include it?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
It still doesn't have a regular release cycle that can be used to predict upcoming releases.

The iPad mini could also have an irregular release cycle for all we know. There has been 4 releases for the apple tv so i think its time to be put in the buyers guide.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
It still doesn't have a regular release cycle that can be used to predict upcoming releases.

And the ipad mini does with it's one release ? It's not like apple posts a calendar of release dates of all it's products before they come out. All of the release news of every product is based on rumor and speculation up until they actually announce it.
My point is that the Apple TV actually has a history of previous versions to track, whereas the ipad mini does not. Many apple products are not as regularly updated as you have implied here. Does the Mac Pro always get updated at the same time each year? No. The "release cycle" that you refer to (like the iPhone, which is somewhat typically updated in the fall) is a fairly recent trend that does not apply to the full list of products in the buyers guide.
So why not include the Apple TV in the lineup? It runs on iOS and is an official apple product with several versions and updates. It just seems like a stubborn excuse not to track it's release history once u look at the buyers guide and realize ipad mini is included with its one release (and therefore no real history to base a "prediction" on).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Whether or not a release schedule can be predicted, it belongs in the buyer's guide with an explanation as to why there are no predicted release dates.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I think it should be included as well. The buyers guide shouldn't be limited to whether a product is on a regular release cycle. If that's the case, what the heck is the Mac Pro doing on there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.