Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Ok, I know that in the end I just need to make up my mind, but am finding it hard.

I need a new mac. I wanted to buy a new 21 inch iMac mainly because the 27 is too big for me, and I really don't need a laptop.
My problem is I wanted to get a SSD, I know that I can get a fusion drive, but I spend about 20% of my time in windows and that would run on the HD. Which would annoy me.
The MBP would do everything that I would want it to do, but of course I would be paying the premium for portability. And also for the screen. There would also be the advantage that I could get it very quickly.
What do you think I should do?

Doctor Suarez

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
I'm facing a similar conundrum (which I will be posting about shortly) so I don't have a definitive answer. Still, let me offer one small suggestion: Do you need the retina 15-incher? Would the reduced price of the regular 15 be a good tradeoff for having only a beautiful screen instead of a stunningly-beautiful screen? I have to make this decision as well, so I'll definitely be going to the Apple store to try out both.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
I have a 24 inch iMac now, I don't think that I would want less than 15 inch screen. And by the time you give the non retina 15 inch a 512GB SSD there isn't much difference in the price.
I think it's still between the retina 15 inch and the 21 inch iMac for me, but I'm beginning to lean towards the MBP. If apple offered a decent sized SSD for the 21 inch iMac this wouldn't even be a thought process for me. I'd happily pay the primium on the price. I don't see why it isn't an option.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have a 24 inch iMac now, I don't think that I would want less than 15 inch screen. And by the time you give the non retina 15 inch a 512GB SSD there isn't much difference in the price.
I think it's still between the retina 15 inch and the 21 inch iMac for me, but I'm beginning to lean towards the MBP. If apple offered a decent sized SSD for the 21 inch iMac this wouldn't even be a thought process for me. I'd happily pay the primium on the price. I don't see why it isn't an option.

Buy the Retina Macbook pro and an external monitor (if a TBD is too big, Dell makes some nice 22-24" monitors)

Get a Wireless mouse and KB and voila! all the Utility of an iMac. And you can pack it up when you like and bring it around with you.

:apple:problem solved:apple:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
You could take the sting out of that portability premium by purchasing a refurb MBP + TB display. I just bought a cMBP 15". It was in pristine condition and carries the same warranty as the new models.

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
I was planning on getting a new iMac (I had been waiting sice February). When the new ones were announced, I started lookin at which size would be better on my desk, and realized they were both bigger than I wanted. So I then decided to go with the 15 inch rMBP with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of ram, and I couldnt be happier. It is awesome. When I need more screen real estate, I plug it in to my external 24 inch dell monitor. My iPad is lonely now because I am using my MBP all the time. I thought I didn't need the portability, but I have been carting it around a fair amount. For me, having 1 very capable computer is preferable to having two (iMac and Air) that I try to keep in sync.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Well I've bit the bullet and ordered the retina MacBook. Hopefully I won't regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.