Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Just realized none of the iPads on my AT&T Mobile Datashare Plan are able to use the Personal Hotspot feature. They are all 3rd generation iPads on 6.0.1.

First iPad: Personal Hotspot showed up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. I went into airplay mode and came out...now Personal Hotspot says to "Call AT&T at 611 to activate personal hotspot". Resetting Network Settings does nothing.

Second iPad: Personal hotspot shows up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. Neither Airplane Mode, nor Resetting Network Settings does anything to fix this, though the option is still visible.

I called AT&T and they said they're having problems nationwide with Personal Hotspot...but I don't believe it. I would have heard about it.

So my question, is anyone else here having trouble with their iPads and Personal Hotspot from the iPad?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I get this off and on my ipad can't connect to my iphone. rebooting the phone usually fixes it. sucks but what can you do been getting worse it seems though.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Just realized none of the iPads on my AT&T Mobile Datashare Plan are able to use the Personal Hotspot feature. They are all 3rd generation iPads on 6.0.1.

First iPad: Personal Hotspot showed up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. I went into airplay mode and came out...now Personal Hotspot says to "Call AT&T at 611 to activate personal hotspot". Resetting Network Settings does nothing.

Second iPad: Personal hotspot shows up in the options, but never creates a wifi network to connect to. Neither Airplane Mode, nor Resetting Network Settings does anything to fix this, though the option is still visible.

I called AT&T and they said they're having problems nationwide with Personal Hotspot...but I don't believe it. I would have heard about it.

So my question, is anyone else here having trouble with their iPads and Personal Hotspot from the iPad?

I've always had problems with hotspot on iOS devices (except when jailbroken - tethering works great, haha).... my solution this iPad was to get the Mini with LTE, problem solved :)

But in all seriousness, ATT's deployment of the hotspot feature, and the limitations they put on devices is pretty bad...

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Really? I have 0 problems with it on my phone...I was hoping they messed something up with my Mobile Share plan :(

mgford11

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
My iPhone 5 suddenly lost hotspot too. When I restored from a backup with it on there, it doesn't broadcast. Happened the same time they enabled FaceTime over cellular. I have a ticket open with AT&T business care, but they're not helping at all. They called it a "trending problem with iOS 6.0.1 users"

Gregrah

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Also having this issue. Personal Hotspot worked fine on my iPhone 5 up until Monday, and the stopped working. AT&T support has acknowledged that there is a major issue, but has predictably been completely worthless in explaining what the root cause is or when it might be fixed.

This seems like a pretty major outage to me (at least for those of us who depend on tethering to get work done). Is there any way we can get this on the front page of Mac rumors to turn up the pressure on AT&T a bit?

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Also having this issue. Personal Hotspot worked fine on my iPhone 5 up until Monday, and the stopped working. AT&T support has acknowledged that there is a major issue, but has predictably been completely worthless in explaining what the root cause is or when it might be fixed.

This seems like a pretty major outage to me (at least for those of us who depend on tethering to get work done). Is there any way we can get this on the front page of Mac rumors to turn up the pressure on AT&T a bit?

I've had IP5 since it first came out and HOTSPOT was working fine everytime I turned it one UNTIL this past Monday. the network never came up when I turned it on. I DIDN'T UPDATE TO VERSION 6.0.1 either and have tried everything. I restored from back up to a week earlier, reset IP5 multiple times and still nothing.

I came to AT&T store and after 5 minutes troubleshooting, the rep opened a ticket with the issue and that was it. It has been over a day and nothing is working still and haven't heard back. THIS IS RIDICULOUS cuz I have no wifi at my home and was counting on hotspot for PC internet. grrr... paying this much for mobile shared with no sharing...damn AT&T

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Tethering an iPad mini to an iPhone 5 w/ AT&T is working fine for me. I just tested it to confirm.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I've had IP5 since it first came out and HOTSPOT was working fine everytime I turned it one UNTIL this past Monday. the network never came up when I turned it on. I DIDN'T UPDATE TO VERSION 6.0.1 either and have tried everything. I restored from back up to a week earlier, reset IP5 multiple times and still nothing.

I came to AT&T store and after 5 minutes troubleshooting, the rep opened a ticket with the issue and that was it. It has been over a day and nothing is working still and haven't heard back. THIS IS RIDICULOUS cuz I have no wifi at my home and was counting on hotspot for PC internet. grrr... paying this much for mobile shared with no sharing...damn AT&T

The same thing happened to me a few days ago, and I was able to get the hotspot working again by doing a re-boot of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.