Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
yannn
macrumors newbie

what happens to my mails if I make backup and change harddisk?

Apple send me an e-mail: your harddisk must be changed. So I bought an external hard disk and used Time Machine to copy everything. I don't like this program because they don't confirm what they are doing. Did they copy everything including mails, or not? I am using Outlook a lot. I send and receive, but especially I put everything in files, and I have more files in Outlook than anywhere else. So now I'll send my iMac to have the hard disk changed, and when it is back I'll push a button in Time Machine, and then what? Does Office for Mac 2011 still exist? Is my file structure in Outlook still there? Are all my e-mails in this file structure still there? Or is it necessary to convert all the mails into doc-files before the hard disk change? Or should I do anything else to save my things? It includes 500G of music and 300G of pix. Should I eventually make separate copies of these?
yannn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your entire hard drive. When you get your iMac back, simply restore from the clone.

You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help