Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

Can't decide on Retina or Regular

So I have finally decided to purchase a new MBP. I used to have a glossy (non-retina), but it was way too reflective for my liking. I haven't seen the new retina displays, but I have a feeling I would dislike them for the same reason. I love the hi-res antiglare screens though.

I was just wondering would a retina perform better than a non-retina MBP with the same specs?

I'm really having a hard time deciding, right now it seems that the retina includes an SSD, so if I get the hi-res anti-glare it'll end up costing around the same price as a retina so in the end it comes down to performance. The retinas are slimmer too right?

I mostly do 3D modeling and video compositing, with a little gaming on the side. Going for a 2.7ghz with 18gb ram
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:52 PM   #2
De5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngwyn View Post
So I have finally decided to purchase a new MBP. I used to have a glossy (non-retina), but it was way too reflective for my liking. I haven't seen the new retina displays, but I have a feeling I would dislike them for the same reason. I love the hi-res antiglare screens though.

I was just wondering would a retina perform better than a non-retina MBP with the same specs?

I'm really having a hard time deciding, right now it seems that the retina includes an SSD, so if I get the hi-res anti-glare it'll end up costing around the same price as a retina so in the end it comes down to performance. The retinas are slimmer too right?

I mostly do 3D modeling and video compositing, with a little gaming on the side. Going for a 2.7ghz with 18gb ram
plz giv me link 2 18 gb ram i want plz
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:12 AM   #3
stevelam
macrumors 65816

Why the heck would an RMBP be faster than a cmbp if they're the same specs? If anything the RMBP will be slower since it has to use more resources to power and accelerate the retina screen.
stevelam is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4
LS3 Machine
macrumors member

Anti glare

I'm the same as you, I don't care for the glossy screens. I'm getting a high res anti glare cmbp. I plan on adding my own Ssd, since I don't care for the anal rape that apple charges for Ssds.
LS3 Machine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:22 AM   #5
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Nope, on the margin it will perform worse as the iGPU and or dGPU will be more taxed handling the higher resolutions. In reality, this will largely be compensated for by the overclocking of the GPU in the rMBP-15.

When you buy the rMBP you are forced to pay Apple's stiff upgrade prices. If you buy the base 2.7 processor cMBP and upgrade the RAM and SDD yourself, it'll be a lot cheaper than a similarly specced rMBP, about $300 cheaper if you go with 2.7/16GB/512GB specification and about $350 cheaper if you go with the 2.6/16GB/512GB specification. And if you sell the HDD and RAM sticks that came with the cMBP when you upgrade, you'll probably net another $75 on top of that.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishMacGuy View Post
Nope, on the margin it will perform worse as the iGPU and or dGPU will be more taxed handling the higher resolutions. In reality, this will largely be compensated for by the overclocking of the GPU in the rMBP-15.

When you buy the rMBP you are forced to pay Apple's stiff upgrade prices. If you buy the base 2.7 processor cMBP and upgrade the RAM and SDD yourself, it'll be a lot cheaper than a similarly specced rMBP, about $300 cheaper if you go with 2.7/16GB/512GB specification and about $350 cheaper if you go with the 2.6/16GB/512GB specification. And if you sell the HDD and RAM sticks that came with the cMBP when you upgrade, you'll probably net another $75 on top of that.
So essentially the difference between the retina models is exchanging performance for higher resolution? Since when wasn't the original screen resolution adequate for most all uses?

Also the rMBP are too thin for optical drives as well too right? Anyone around who actually thinks the rMBP is a better buy? Are there any other advantages I'm missing? Seems like the choice is clear... and that would be the hires antiglare.
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

I had a 2011 15" AG MBP and loved it, I planned on buying the same for 2012, I was content with this decision. I wanted to remove the ODD and put in an Optibay, replace the stock HDD with an SSD, then add 16GB ram.

I went into the Apple store to buy it, looked at the rMBP for 20-30min, loved it, went home to contemplate my decision a little longer. After a little longer, I realized that rMBP was JUST THAT much more amazing (imo), so I went back into Apple and picked up a rMBP 2.3/16/512 and I love it. I dont regret my decision what so ever.

The screen isnt as "anti" reflective as the actual AG Model MBP, but the reflections have been significantly reduced with this new IPS Panel. To this day, the rMBP was the right choice for me and I do not regret it at all. I couldnt even fathom getting the thicker, heavier (albeit, slightly) cMBP with a poorer PPI and resolution.
Orlandoech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

I've had the retina since it came out and I LOVE it. The screen glare is very minimal. I have worked in places with bright windows behind me and have not had any problems with glare at all. I wouldn't go with the thick, underpowered, low res version for fear of glare that is not an issue.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Dr Charter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

So essentially the difference between the retina models is exchanging performance for higher resolution? Since when wasn't the original screen resolution adequate for most all uses?

Also the rMBP are too thin for optical drives as well too right? Anyone around who actually thinks the rMBP is a better buy? Are there any other advantages I'm missing? Seems like the choice is clear... and that would be the hires antiglare.
Are you talking about the base model cMPB? I would think that a slow HD and 4GB ram would hinder performance. I know these can be upgraded but that brings the cost closer to a rMBP.
Dr Charter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Charter View Post
I would think that a slow HD and 4GB ram would hinder performance. I know these can be upgraded but that brings the cost closer to a rMBP.
Yes and yes, exactly. People rarely take this into consideration, when this is the case the rMBP is a better buy imo.

Also, people dont realize you can upgrade the SSD in the rMBP.

WITHOUT EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT

Base 15" MBP - $1799
Base 15" MBP w/ High-Res (1680x1050) Display - $1899
Base 15" rMBP - $2199

Base 15" MBP - $1799
+Decent 256GB SSD $200 (average)
+Decent 16GB RAM $80 (avg)
TOTAL - $2079

Base 15" MBP w/ High-Res (1680x1050) Display - $1899
TOTAL - $2179

Base 15" rMBP -
Stock w/
  • 2880x1800 Retina Display
  • Samsung SSD w/ TRIM
  • Sharper IPS Panel
  • Slimmer
  • Lighter
  • HDMI
TOTAL - $2199

WITH EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT

Base 15" MBP - $1699
Base 15" MBP w/ High-Res (1680x1050) Display - $1789
Base 15" rMBP - $1999

Base 15" MBP - $1699
TOTAL - $1979

Base 15" MBP w/ High-Res (1680x1050) Display - $1789
TOTAL - $2069

Base 15" rMBP -
Stock w/
  • 2880x1800 Retina Display
  • Samsung SSD w/ TRIM
  • Sharper IPS Panel
  • Slimmer
  • Lighter
  • HDMI
TOTAL - $1999

Last edited by Orlandoech; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Also, people dont realize you can upgrade the SSD in the rMBP.
No, they can't. Not without voiding your 1 year warranty and extra 2 years of AppleCare.

After the 3rd year... knock yourself out.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:57 AM   #12
gentlefury
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
No, they can't. Not without voiding your 1 year warranty and extra 2 years of AppleCare.

There is nothing to indicate that you upgraded in the casing. If something goes wrong and you need to bring it in for repair under warranty, just put back in the factory installed hardware. They will never know/care.
gentlefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Uh yes you can.

You can buy another OEM Samsung/Apple Retina SSD and swap it and still be within warranty unless you say something idiotic when you take it in for service, like "Oh I replaced the SSD". If the user is THAT worried about it, they can always swap back in the stock Retina SSD prior to taking it in for service like most MBP users do with Optibays.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Uh yes you can.

You can buy another OEM Samsung/Apple Retina SSD and swap it and still be within warranty unless you say something idiotic when you take it in for service, like "Oh I replaced the SSD". If the user is THAT worried about it, they can always swap back in the stock Retina SSD prior to taking it in for service like most MBP users do with Optibays.
Interesting. I thought Apple put a "nix" on Samsung outsourcing their retina drives for sale by 3rd parties. Just for grins I found this one for $600. I believe Apple wants $800.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Interesting. I thought Apple put a "nix" on Samsung outsourcing their retina drives for sale by 3rd parties. Just for grins I found this one for $600. I believe Apple wants $800.
Only Samsung make the Retina SSDs, but so does OWC, but OWC's are Sandforce controlled SSD, and most Sandforce based SSDs dont play well with Macs.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/O...ro_Retina_2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-...item460abc8711

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Samsung-...item416a7a8b2b
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

not much glare

I would say I am VERY much against the regular GLOSSY screens. I had one of the original plain macbooks, which was GREAT but the glare gave me headaches and I simply couldn't use it. Sold it about two weeks later.

I was concerned, going from a 2008 15" Matte screen 1400x900 resolution AWESOME macbook pro, to the rMBP.

But you know what I don't even NOTICE any glare on this machine. They really did reduce the glare substantially. It is hardly noticeable except in only the worst of conditions.

I say, go ahead and do it and if for some reason you can't handle it, take it back for NQA refund.
tivoboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
MattSepeta
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MattSepeta
Quote:

I was going to get a 15" rMBP.

Then I saw how CHEAP 17" 2011 MBPs are selling for. for less than what the rMBP I was thinking about cost, I bought a 17" 2.3 ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 512GB SSD, Thunderbolt display and a WD Duo 6TB Thunderbolt drive.

Best computer purchase decision I ever made. My machine is *almost* as fast as the retinas, although for my uses the processor clock speed didnt matter as much as GPU so there is not a big difference there. When 16GB Ram sticks come out I will be able to easily pop them in. As SSDs get cheaper I can easily pop those in without worrying about needing a stupid proprietary "blade" style.

I don't really care that it weighs more and is thicker. It's my "pro" machine for doing "pro" work on. Im not doing this work on a fricken bus or while I'm walking around. If I needed something for that, an iPad or MBA is fine.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Go to the store and put them next to each other and decide. I think the retina is incredible and totally worth the $, others don't. You will not see a performance difference unless you aftermarket upgrade the cmbp to 16gb ram or something like that. Also remember that the SSD will make your general experience much faster than more RAM.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:44 PM   #19
throAU
macrumors 68030

It comes down to this:

Do you think you will need to upgrade storage?

Currently, if needed, you can put multiple TB of storage into a cMBP by sacrificing the optical drive.

The only rMBP owner i know maxxed his out with 768gb and as it is his primary machine, is whinging about lack of space as he has sacrificed half for boot camp gaming as well.

Yes, he probably uses a lot more space than others, but it is something to consider. He also had to pay a lot for that 768gb...

IMHO that is the only drawback. It doesn't matter how nice the screen is if you don't have enough disk space.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro