Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6, 2013, 05:29 PM   #201
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
But Windows nags every month with the blue screens. It couldn't even sleep properly. It was loud when the fans were on. The monitor was average, even though it was one of the best among the aftermarket.
These Windows-bluescreen stories are just stupid. I use Windows-based PCs professionally every day, at least for 10 hours, since about 20 years now.

I can't even remember my last bluescreen. It must've been under Windows NT 4.0 around year 2000 I guess. Never had one under XP or Windows 7. We have dozens of PCs in our office and people are working hard on them. No bluescreens either.

If Windows would crash daily it won't be the industry standard since 20 years I guess.

Loud fans are a result of cheap cases. Again, buy a better PC and you won't hear them.

My Mac Mini had a non-working HDMI port, a very basic and simple feature that Apple could only fix after 3 months of telling me that "this problem is totally new to us. We've never heard of snow and crushed out whites" while at the same time there were thousands of complaints on exactly the same issue. World class customer care ? I doubt that.
Woyzeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:15 PM   #202
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
I was referring to 95% of desktop buyers, but if you want to be literal and miss the point, ok. 95% of desktop consumers aren't "power users" like yourself, and therefore wouldn't care about all that i'd wager.

"Friction stir welding" or just friction welding allows a cooler, more efficient computer. Which is what the iMac is all about. Speed comes second, although this latest iMac is damn fast.
  • A desktop tower contains GTX Titan and granite base = some weird fancy 5h!t
  • Serviceability, upgrades and easy of access = stuff 95% people don't care about
  • Faster and better components, liquid cooling on PC computers = lingering in the past.

Meanwhile .. Aluminum case with great attention to details and engineering and sleekness, quietness factor while lock in my system so that even Apple would have a hard time fixing it = Oh this is a godly computer.

Yeah well, 95% of people don't give a F if iMac use friction stir welding, screen lamination and 5x thinner either. Just give the damn better and reasonable upgrades, but guess what, Apple could not offer it..

Point is ... you always dismiss and underestimate things, services, or features that PC companies provide on which Apple could not like there is no tomorrow.

But when Apple offers something equally gimmicky and silly, you praise it like it was the bestest thing life could ever provide. Some nice arsetitude you got there
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co

Last edited by iSayuSay; May 6, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #203
Arfdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
These Windows-bluescreen stories are just stupid. I use Windows-based PCs professionally every day, at least for 10 hours, since about 20 years now.

I can't even remember my last bluescreen. It must've been under Windows NT 4.0 around year 2000 I guess. Never had one under XP or Windows 7. We have dozens of PCs in our office and people are working hard on them. No bluescreens either.

If Windows would crash daily it won't be the industry standard since 20 years I guess.

Loud fans are a result of cheap cases. Again, buy a better PC and you won't hear them.

My Mac Mini had a non-working HDMI port, a very basic and simple feature that Apple could only fix after 3 months of telling me that "this problem is totally new to us. We've never heard of snow and crushed out whites" while at the same time there were thousands of complaints on exactly the same issue. World class customer care ? I doubt that.
Um so do I. Dell E6410 running XP. Slowest damn thing I've used in a while, it can't even open IE without the HD struggling, and this is no joke. Blue screen every 3-4 months probably, not awful. But who said anything about "daily"? So anything more than daily is good enough for you?

Also on this sleep thing, I try to hibernate or standby, and it mostly works. Until something hogs the memory and won't relinquish it, then I have to reboot. Also occasionally when you try to dock it, the mouse and keyboard don't respond! wtf kind of bs computer is this?
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:19 PM   #204
Arfdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
  • A desktop tower contains GTX Titan and granite base = some weird fancy 5h!t
  • Serviceability, upgrades and easy of access = stuff 95% people don't care about
  • Faster and better components, liquid cooling on PC computers = lingering in the past.

Yeah well, 95% of people don't give a F if iMac use friction stir welding, screen lamination and 5x thinner either. Just give the damn better and reasonable upgrades, but guess what, Apple could not offer it..

But when Apple offers something equally gimmicky and silly, you praise it like it was the bestest thing life could ever provide. Some nice arsetitude you got there
I said wanting to always change things out constantly = lingering in the past

Like I stated before, the welding method is required to make a better-looking, more energy-efficient, and ultimately more desirable PC. That's what most consumers care about. Screen lamination helps because the screen looks better. Customers also care about that. What's hard to understand?

All i'm saying is Apple = best PC at the moment for the average PC user. Didn't say anything about best thing in life.... don't misquote me. Youmad
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:54 PM   #205
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
I said wanting to always change things out constantly = lingering in the past

Like I stated before, the welding method is required to make a better-looking, more energy-efficient, and ultimately more desirable PC. That's what most consumers care about. Screen lamination helps because the screen looks better. Customers also care about that. What's hard to understand?

All i'm saying is Apple = best PC at the moment for the average PC user. Didn't say anything about best thing in life.... don't misquote me. Youmad
Granite base also helps stabilize the tower unit and keep the thing cooled while it's also a good looking quality material. Customers also care about that.

Every innovations and features has their own purpose, but of course because it's not made of Aluminum and not designed by Apple, it's a useless crap, no?

Yeah where did you get that facts? Apple's website? Resourceful.
I also drink Diet Coke everyday because Pepsi says it's healthy.

I'm so out of here .. it's getting off topic and ridiculously stupid to discuss things with someone so heavily blinded and biased.

Keep drinking that silicon juice, it's healthy .. Apple says so.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:32 PM   #206
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
Dell E6410 running XP.
...

Also on this sleep thing, I try to hibernate or standby, and it mostly works. Until something hogs the memory and won't relinquish it, then I have to reboot. Also occasionally when you try to dock it, the mouse and keyboard don't respond! wtf kind of bs computer is this?
This is a computer running the version of Windows that released around the time when Apple OSX 10.0 "Cheetah" was released. Are you still running Cheetah on your Apples, or have you upgraded to a newer version of Apple OSX?

Try a Windows version from, say 3 years ago. You'll discover that the entire sleep/hibernate subsystem has been redesigned - and works superbly. Does Apple OSX even have "hybrid sleep" today?

Please - seeing "Windows SUX" and "XP" in the same paragraph is as convincing as seeing "Digitimes reports" in a rumour story.
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable

Last edited by AidenShaw; May 6, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:48 PM   #207
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
...
Try a Windows version from, say 3 years ago. You'll discover that the entire sleep/hibernate subsystem has been redesigned - and works superbly. Does Apple OSX even have "hybrid sleep" today?

Please - seeing "Windows SUX" and "XP" in the same paragraph is as convincing as seeing "Digitimes reports" in a rumour story.
I'm sorry but I think 95% of people, 95% of the time don't care
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #208
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
I'm sorry but I think 95% of people, 95% of the time don't care
Don't care about what - whether "sleep" works better on a 12-year old OS than a 3-year old OS. Or whether "sleep" works at all?

You're probably right - since Windows market share is much, much, much closer to 95% than the Apple OSX share Microsoft is doing things better.
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:14 PM   #209
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Don't care about what - whether "sleep" works better on a 12-year old OS than a 3-year old OS. Or whether "sleep" works at all?

You're probably right - since Windows market share is much, much, much closer to 95% than the Apple OSX share Microsoft is doing things better.
Well I care. But someone else here claimed otherwise.

Simple and useful things (i.e Finder cut-paste, better multiple display management), appears on OSX years after Windows just because Mac want to be .. different
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:50 PM   #210
hleewell
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatisme View Post
My beef with all of this is that the HDD is the one component of the iMac that regularly fails. So it's good they are offering Flash storage, but that should be standard (at least a small Flash drive) with a secondary HDD (fusion option) UNLESS they would build the iMac to where the HDD is user serviceable without having to totally disassemble the unit. If they would provide easy access to the HDD, I would be motivated to buy.

I've replaced the HDD 4 times in our 24" Alum iMac (without using the apple service centers). Other than that, it's been a great machine.
Hear ! Hear !
__________________
MacBook (Alum 2008)
Mac Mini (2010) - RIP
iPhone 5
iPad Air
hleewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #211
sesnir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Here's where your entire post is flawed. Until competitors come out with an AIO that's even remotely close to the iMac to drive competition then you insisting that the iMac be standardized with a Fusion drive makes no sense. Most consumers are not even trippin' about a "Fusion Drive" let alone even know what it is and those are generally the consumers that make up for most of Apple's sales.
Your post is flawed... Look at the build quality of the iMac, the brushed aluminum, the ultra-thin design. No competitor has come close to that, but they did it anyway. By your logic, the iMac should be a thick, noisy, plastic computer until the day that HP makes something better.

I say the Fusion drive is now part of what makes the iMac unique, and should be a selling point on every box. They can market it similar to the MacBook Air and how they kept talking about the near-instant-on speed of it thanks to the SSD. Oh yeah, that's another thing Apple decided to make STANDARD on a laptop. If they can put SSDs in every Air and MBP Retina, then they can put Fusion drives in every iMac.

"It's that simple."
__________________
Tangent Worlds - iOS Developer
sesnir is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 08:23 AM   #212
Hildegerd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
I was gonna buy the new imac back when they were released,but the non ssd option in the 21.5" was a deal breaker...so i waited and waited and finally got tired and bought a nice used mint 2.4GHz macbook (black) and put in my own ssd.The funny thing is my cost total was $300 ($200 for macbook---yes got sweet deal,and $100 for 128 samsung 840 ssd)

So apple,when you build a nice 21.5" Imac that doesn't need a tear down to get at the ram and harddrive,and comes with ssd options that aren't stupid $...give me a shout...till then Ill continue using this used macbook that has already undergone it's over priced rip off,and has simple easy access to ram and harddrive!

The 21" would have been my dream machine if I just could add more RAM, like the 27".
__________________
One is a drunk, two is a party.
Hildegerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Updates iMac with Haswell and Faster PCIe Flash Storage MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 552 Oct 4, 2013 10:24 AM
Flash storage? Other options? Upgrades? eprater2013 MacBook Pro 19 May 16, 2013 09:15 PM
iMac adds new Flash Storage Options (256/512gb) zedsdead iMac 40 May 9, 2013 02:56 PM
256 or 512 flash storage? And any sign of a quad-core MBA coming any soon? FatGuy007 MacBook Air 8 Jul 28, 2012 06:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC