Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Does anyone know if it's possible yet to wake an iMac from sleep via the internet? I'd like to use remote login via SSH to an iMac from an ibook, but it is quite useless unless I can wake the iMac from the internet.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Do you have the 'Wake for Ethernet administrator access" box checked off in the Energy Saver options panel?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
rdowns said:
Do you have the 'Wake for Ethernet administrator access" box checked off in the Energy Saver options panel?

Yes. I'm able to wake the iMac remotely from my ibook when on the local private ip network using a program called "Wake on Lan". However, I do not know what ports, if any, can be forwarded by the wan ip to the local ip address to wake the iMac from anywhere on the internet in order to use SSH.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
It seems that for this to work you must be on the local subnet, when I am at home it works fine

When at university I have tried to wake my iMac from my PowerBook using a VPN but it doesn't seem to work either

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Darwin said:
It seems that for this to work you must be on the local subnet, when I am at home it works fine

When at university I have tried to wake my iMac from my PowerBook using a VPN but it doesn't seem to work either

Using a program called "Wake on Lan", I have been successful waking the imac from my ibook while on the local subnet. The only problem is, after it wakes the computer, either at the login screen or the blank active user screen (when "require password to wake this computer from sleep" is checked), apple sharing fails to connect and I can't see the shared folders on the imac.

I'm totally at a loss at what port I should use to forward the so called 'magic packet' to my imac's local subnet address from the wan address.

Oh, if I were smart enough to switch to macs when I was attending Nottingham Uni, perhaps I would've solved this problem long ago... :D

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Using a program called "Wake on Lan", I have been successful waking the imac from my ibook while on the local subnet. The only problem is, after it wakes the computer, either at the login screen or the blank active user screen (when "require password to wake this computer from sleep" is checked), apple sharing fails to connect and I can't see the shared folders on the imac.

I'm totally at a loss at what port I should use to forward the so called 'magic packet' to my imac's local subnet address from the wan address.

Oh, if I were smart enough to switch to macs when I was attending Nottingham Uni, perhaps I would've solved this problem long ago... :D

I'm not using Apple Sharing or Wake On Lan.

If I make my Mac boot up using the internet (http://www.remotewakeup.com/) how can I then make it login to an account so I can start using LogMeIn which doesn't work if it is not running?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.