Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:18 AM   #551
bokkow
macrumors member

Talking

I received my second hand Mac Mini 2012 i7 QC 2.6 GHz about two months ago and finally got around adding a second SSD in RAID0 making it the most maxed out option out there I believe

I'm really happy with the result although I might not have a real purpose for the upgrade gheghe. But come on: 1GB/s it makes it a "screamer" to talk in the words of Jobs, it does feel even snappier with the second 840Pro 256GB!
bokkow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:11 AM   #552
suzyj
macrumors newbie

Just ordered my third 2014 mac mini. 2.6GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB fusion drive.

These little computers are way too cool. They use barely any power, are super fast, incredibly quiet...

The other two are running as HTPCs (one in our lounge, one in my accommodation at work - I spend quite a lot of time away from home). They're running with 2TB hard drives, one with a fusion drive and one without.

The plan is to use the SSD from the new one to make both the HTPC machines identical, and to install mythtv backend on the new one so it can record telly for us.
suzyj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:21 PM   #553
keekl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekl View Post
Arrived Thurs~last night did the migration which went very well, didn't even have to log back into programs at all when I opened them up on the new mini. It had Mavericks installed, will do the upgrade to 10.10 today...now just have to learn all the differences in the jump from Snow Leopard to Yosemite
Got tired of the beach ball~~~upgraded to 16GB RAM and made all the difference in the world..shouldn't have waited for RAM upgrade...now debating whether to go Yosemite or not..

HP Pavilion G7 i3 Win 7
Inter arma enim silent leges
keekl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:58 AM   #554
tibas92013
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekl View Post
Got tired of the beach ball~~~upgraded to 16GB RAM and made all the difference in the world..shouldn't have waited for RAM upgrade...now debating whether to go Yosemite or not..
I have the same Mac Mini and recently upgraded it to 16GB. I still get the Spinning Beach Ball every now-and-then which could be a sign that my 500GB HD is failing??
tibas92013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:31 AM   #555
newellj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibas92013 View Post
I have the same Mac Mini and recently upgraded it to 16GB. I still get the Spinning Beach Ball every now-and-then which could be a sign that my 500GB HD is failing??
Not necessarily, probably not even likely. Run some diagnostics to check HDDs, spinners, are just plain slower to access files than SSDs. A spinning beach ball every now and then is expected.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:09 PM   #556
applelover4u
macrumors member

First time Mac user!

just got my mac mini 1.4 ghz i5.. Pretty solid for me altough not upgrading the memory is a bummer. I do light to medium work on my computer photoshop , light video editing, music, surfing ,emails and at times run some intensive apps.

For me this is mid range, Im coming from windows which had an older intel chip in it

Can the chip be overlocked?
applelover4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:59 PM   #557
rvs007
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applelover4u View Post
just got my mac mini 1.4 ghz i5.. Pretty solid for me altough not upgrading the memory is a bummer. I do light to medium work on my computer photoshop , light video editing, music, surfing ,emails and at times run some intensive apps.

For me this is mid range, Im coming from windows which had an older intel chip in it

Can the chip be overlocked?
I don't think the processor can be overclocked by the user (in a traditional PC sense), but it does support Turbo Boost which means it will ramp up to 2.7Ghz to improve performance as needed.

Having 4GB for light photoshop & video editing shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately because the RAM is not user upgradable, if you find you need more RAM later, you won't be able to add it after the fact.

But this being your first Mac, there will be plenty to learn and love about Mac OS X... I recently bought our first Mac Mini as well (but we opted for the 2012 version and upgraded the RAM to 16GB) and I'm a long-time Windows user so it has taken me a fair bit of time to get used to all the different keyboard shortcuts and different ways of doing things in Mac OSX.
rvs007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #558
ron7624
Contributor

got mine

A couple of months ago, I got my wife a mid Mac Mini to replace her virus riddled Win pc. I could't stand it. So today I walked into an Apple store close to work and pulled out some cash that I'd been saving up electronics and got myself one of the mid level mini's.
I'm typing on it now. The learning really begins since I don't have to share anymore.
Bootcamp will be on the top of my list as I need a couple of windows programs for work.
Yeah, I know that this model isn't upgradable etc, but honestly this thing has got all the horsepower I'll ever need.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #559
mauka
macrumors member

Just ordered a refurb Mini - Good selection today!

Apple Refurbished Store had a wide selection of Minis to choose from today, and I picked a 2014 2.8 i5 with 16GB RAM and 1TB Fusion drive for $1,019.00, added AppleCare and ETA is Monday.

Sold my 2010 iMac 27" i7 that was also purchased as a refurb, it was somewhat jinxed but AppleCare saved my sanity. It went in for repairs four times, including motherboard, video board, and hard drive replacement. Sold it for $800 a couple of weeks ago.

If you're in the market - good selection of Minis right now...
mauka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini