Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1
lawlist
macrumors member

Best IMAP menubar app for email notifications?

I am trying notify.app, but I'm not able to get it to work just quite right for outgoing mail through my two Yahoo accounts. Does anyone here have a menubar application to recommend for email notifications on Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?
lawlist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:51 PM   #2
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

Mailtab is pretty good

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailt...22286396?mt=12
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
techpr
macrumors 6502

I like Notify

http://vibealicious.com/apps/notify
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #4
lawlist
macrumors member

I have been using Notify.app since earlier this afternoon. It cannot send e-mails with Notify.app with either of my Yahoo accounts, but it receives e-mails okay from Yahoo. Notify.app receives and sends well with Gmail. When the Notify.app is configured to open up an e-mail with my default Mail.app client, it marks the e-mail as read -- which overrides my user preference of don't mark as read (TruePreview add-on). So if I do not send an e-mail using Yahoo with Notify.app, and if I do not open up my e-mails from Notify.app with my Mail.app, it is a workable solution.

I bought Sparrow today, but it automatically marks e-mails as read and doesn't show the read / unread count in the inbox.

The mailtab option in iTunes recommended by cuestakid is a wonderful option for people with only gmail accounts.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 06:29 PM   #5
lawlist
macrumors member

I now have MacBiff and Notify running in the menubar, and like both. I have been unable to obtain a copy of MailCue 2.0.4 and/or a license because the developers discontinued supporting it earlier this year.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 PM   #6
lawlist
macrumors member

Well, more than a year has gone by and there is still no solution . . . Sparrow sucks, and Notify doesn't work with Mountain Lion. I'm going to have to write a letter to the CEO of Apple. Such a simple thing . . . let Mail.app run under the hood and send notifications to the notification center.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
lawlist
macrumors member

It is a good day for the Mac world!!!

Mail Call (in the App Store) is a suitable replacement for Notify.app. It's missing a few bells and whistles, but the basic functionality is already there.

MacBiff was also updated at the end of 2012.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store