Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Having an online radio is lame.

Being able to search for and play any song in the world, add it to playlists, download it onto my phone, have optional free music apps through an API to extend the service AND radio function = Spotify.

Dead before it hits the ground.

I see it as being a hit & will hit big. It a natural fit for Apple to offer streaming radio. They already have the largest download music store. Making it easy for users to buy and download songs they hear from their streaming service.

iTune's has the biggest user base second only to facebook. That in itself is a powerful thing.

We still don't know all the details yet. They may even offer ad free service for a fee, for instance offer it free for itunes match users. A lot of different services can be added later on.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Google uses *personalised ads*, your real name, location information, and everything else under the sun to do that; Apple does not. It's the reason why I quit using Google years ago.

Have you read what is the data used for those iRadio ads? Can you explain me what difference does it have with Google personalised ads?

'If You're Not Paying, You're The Product'?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Have you read what is the data used for those iRadio ads? Can you explain me what difference does it have with Google personalised ads?

'If You're Not Paying, You're The Product'?

That never applies to Apple. Because people here have infinite trust in Apple and surely they always put the customer (not profits) first.

That's why I keep saying I would rather pay for it (or it should be bundled with iTunes Match).

Pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but I wanted to reiterate. I expect this from Google, not Apple. It just seems to me that free music with advertising is the old way. Apple has done so much with iTunes, and we have had such high hopes for a streaming service that it this would be a massive step in the wrong direction.

If it turns out to be iPandora rather than iSpotify, then it doesn't interest me.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Looks like when iradio is available I will be able to delete Pandora. Hopefully the transition will free up some space since my 32gb is full.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
I am clueless

Just wondering, I use the radio portion of iTunes to stream several different radio stations with limited announcing. How would iRadio differ from this? I do not subscribe to Pandora. Used to subscribe to Sky FM and Sirius paid internet streaming, but discontinued due to the services cutting themselves off after streaming for an hour.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Just wondering, I use the radio portion of iTunes to stream several different radio stations with limited announcing. How would iRadio differ from this? I do not subscribe to Pandora. Used to subscribe to Sky FM and Sirius paid internet streaming, but discontinued due to the services cutting themselves off after streaming for an hour.

A few differences I think. The ability to easily purchase any song you were listening too through iTunes store. It might possibly be integrated to iOS 7 on iPhones-iPads-Apple TV.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The Canadian market isn't huge but since Google isn't able to offer their service to Canada, just like Spotify and Pandora aren't available here, Apple could have a head start here.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
That Pandora app is just a copy and paste of the Facebook app. I'm sorry but I don't like it, the flat thing I can get away with but at least change it's appearance. If Apple's home apps look like that then it will be a big loss. There is no reason why we can't have things looking like their psychical counterparts and a flat design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.