Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switching from iPhone? What comment do you get most from your iFriends?

• You will be back!

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I just unfriended you!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Steve is rolling in his grave!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Et tu, brute?

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • You are iDead to me.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
iOS is Apple's poorest product anyway, I don't get why the public is so obsessed with it when OS X has been the company's best product and the most balanced OS on the market.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
When I was using my HTC Desire Z, I used the physical keyboard. I got tired of having to reselect the word that I actually typed because auto-correct chose something else.

On my SGS3, I use Thumb Keyboard. I turned of auto-correct, auto-spacing and auto anything on this as well. I want my phone to register what I type and not what it thinks I may want to type. I also hate auto-spacing. I want to specifically enter the spaces myself. I don't even use the predicted words because the predicted words take up screen space. On my old phone, this not an issue because I have a physical keyboard. On my SGS3, I have to use a screen keyboard which takes up screen space. Adding an extra line for predicted words take up even more screen space. My keyboard already takes up 2/3s or more of my screen when I'm typing. I like to see the stuff I already typed and other stuff around it as I type.

I am using the stock Samsung keyboard on my S3. I find it pretty accurate in word prediction and auto-correct. And it only takes up 40% of the screen not 2/3. I also like it has the most used punctuations at the top strip for easy selection following a word.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When I was in high school, no one cared about smartphones, when the 2G came out, only a few of us had it, but that was my last year in high school, and I graduated before the 3G version came out. That was even before the App Store was introduced.

You think having the latest iOS beta entitles you to bragging rights? I was the only person who I knew personally who had their iPhone jailbroken by that time, the only one who could run all the cool apps that came from those first few months, and the only one with a cool theme on my phone.

I actually don't have any friends with iPhones though right now, so the Android transition was easy, and it's going to be easy going back to iOS next year.

But caring about whatever OS someone is using is not worth it. Use what you like.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I've had three friends switch from iPhones to GS III's. all of them returned them within two weeks and went back to an iPhone because..........they just work!

----------

Problem with the GS III's (to me) is that they feel cheaply built. Too much plastic...after having iPhones the build quality isn't even debatable.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I am using the stock Samsung keyboard on my S3. I find it pretty accurate in word prediction and auto-correct. And it only takes up 40% of the screen not 2/3. I also like it has the most used punctuations at the top strip for easy selection following a word.

I primarily type in landscape. The landscape keyboards take up a fairly large portion of the screen. Thumb Keyboard also allows you to long tap on a key to get the punctuation symbol and number digits. The punctuation symbol or digit is shown on the letter keys in smaller font. Most of the punctuation marks I need are there. Occasionally, I need one that I have to press the symbol key for such as the plus sign.

The portrait keyboard takes up about half my screen because I use the stacked split layout. The keys are wider as I find that the normal portrait keys to be too narrow. This means that there is not enough room on the screen to show all of the wider keys. The keyboard is split so the left half of the keyboard is shifted above the right half. This is why it takes up so much screen space in portrait. I just cannot type on the regular narrow portrait keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.