Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I have a 2002 built house with CAT5e wire and CAT5e RJ-45 jacks for Telecom wiring.

I do not use land line telephone (been on Cell only for almost 10 years), so decided to convert the telecom to network standard Ethernet.

I purchased a CAT6 compliant punch down block (plan to some expansion) and punched down all the wires to 568b (not 568a) spec.
When I did a simple continuity test, it looks like all my lines are crossed over, that is the light was not in sequence but jumped all over.

Should the output be in same sequence to input (1 to 8 in order)?

Are Telecom jacks wired to 568a spec?

Or did the installer not care and punched down wires without care? (jack is cat5e, but has no labeling).

Did I royally fark up? (I do have some network training, just no experiance).

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Ok, I did find out the wall jacks where wired to "A" config (basically crossover type).

Took a bit more investigating, and time, to figure out and fix.

Anyone doing same will have to check wall jacks for that config.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If u get all 8 wires, then u should be all set.

Because regular telephone only require 2 wires (1 pair) per circuit sometimes the wirer get lazy/cheap and split one cable's pairs into two different jacks.

Of course you are aware CAT6 ends doesn't give you CAT6 speed, the weakest link is still there. But OK everything done perfectly, plug in a gigabit switch in there and see how much ur getting.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Ok, I did find out the wall jacks where wired to "A" config (basically crossover type).

Took a bit more investigating, and time, to figure out and fix.

Anyone doing same will have to check wall jacks for that config.

You might want to redo the Punch Down Block connections to match the wall jacks (or redo the wall jacks). I wired my house up with T568A and then discovered that all my patch cables were wired up to T568B. The whole system worked, but I rewired it all to T568B in the end.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
If u get all 8 wires, then u should be all set.

Because regular telephone only require 2 wires (1 pair) per circuit sometimes the wirer get lazy/cheap and split one cable's pairs into two different jacks.

Of course you are aware CAT6 ends doesn't give you CAT6 speed, the weakest link is still there. But OK everything done perfectly, plug in a gigabit switch in there and see how much ur getting.

I plan to add a few new lines of Cat6, thus why I used a Cat6 block.
I would run a separate switch just for the Cat6 line.

You might want to redo the Punch Down Block connections to match the wall jacks (or redo the wall jacks). I wired my house up with T568A and then discovered that all my patch cables were wired up to T568B. The whole system worked, but I rewired it all to T568B in the end.

I am changing my wall to T568B, except one I cannot reach, not sure what I will do there, but have a couple of options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.