Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyridine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Long story short, I got my HP Tablet stolen during finals weeks a month and some days ago at the library, I called the my university policies and a few days later they told me they had a few suspects based on video surveillance, but at this point it doesn't seem like they will ever find the person. :(

Right now I am in the market for an iPad Mini (mainly for checking e-mails and pdf use), I was just wondering which one would be best just incase it ever get stolen or lost again? I was looking into the cellular iPad Mini, is it possible to still track the exact location (Using Find My iphone app) with the cellular iPad Mini even if you don't have a data plan? Which one do you suggest I get? The 16gb or the 32gb?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Find my phone app uses wifi/lte/3G with GPS built in. If you really care about your mini then you always need to carry it with you at all the times. Also 32GB is better than 16GB. :apple:

Data or without data plans can still track lost iPhone/ipad using wifi. :apple:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
get a 32gb wifi plus cellular mini. that way, if you later decide to use cellular data, you just insert a sim.

----------

also, always make sure you have it backed up to iCloud, so you don't loose notes, pictures, etc, incase it DOES get stolen.

Pyridine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Find my phone app uses wifi/lte/3G with GPS built in. If you really care about your mini then you always need to carry it with you at all the times. Also 32GB is better than 16GB. :apple:

Data or without data plans can still track lost iPhone/ipad using wifi. :apple:

If I bought the cellular iPad Mini, can it still be tracked using Find My iPhone if the person takes it out of a wifi zone and I don't have a data plan using the GPS or do I have to pay for GPS service?

I know the 32GB is better than the 16GB (in terms of space), but do you think I need it? Can it really fill the quick? :eek:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
If I bought the cellular iPad Mini, can it still be tracked using Find My iPhone if the person takes it out of a wifi zone and I don't have a data plan using the GPS or do I have to pay for GPS service?

I know the 32GB is better than the 16GB (in terms of space), but do you think I need it? Can it really fill the quick? :eek:

well i am not sure about gps tracking, as I'm not sure if its built in. i think find my iPhone MUST have wifi/lte/3g.

about the storage capacity: as a guy who uses my iPad about 3 hours a day, and i don't even do a lot, a 32gb iPad is almost to small...

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
If I bought the cellular iPad Mini, can it still be tracked using Find My iPhone if the person takes it out of a wifi zone and I don't have a data plan using the GPS or do I have to pay for GPS service? :eek:

Of course it can't. "Find My i[device]" is not a theft prevention tool, it's a useful tool if you misplace it. I inadvertently left mine in a business meeting at a client location and was relieved to find its location later that day when I noticed it was gone.

On the other hand, if someone is intending to steal the device then tracking is only possible through a cellular network or active wifi. If it can't access a password-protected wifi network or it's powered off or the battery runs down then there's nothing you can do.

In any case, even if you can locate it there's very little you can do.

Get a theft insurance policy.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Long story short, I got my HP Tablet stolen during finals weeks a month and some days ago at the library, I called the my university policies and a few days later they told me they had a few suspects based on video surveillance, but at this point it doesn't seem like they will ever find the person. :(

Right now I am in the market for an iPad Mini (mainly for checking e-mails and pdf use), I was just wondering which one would be best just incase it ever get stolen or lost again? I was looking into the cellular iPad Mini, is it possible to still track the exact location (Using Find My iphone app) with the cellular iPad Mini even if you don't have a data plan? Which one do you suggest I get? The 16gb or the 32gb?

Capacity: I have a 16 gb cellular iPad mini. Love it. It is my constant companion. I don't need more because all of my music is located in my Box account. There are many other free cloud services for that matter. I've got 1000+ photos on my device and the rest in Box. I've got 2gb of free space with all of the apps and games I want. If you take and keep a lot of video, then go for the 32.
Cellular: IMHO, cellular is the only way to go. It has a GPS chip and there are other advantages too. I use my data connection non stop while away from wifi and don't get close to my 2gb cap BECAUSE I do not watch videos (Netflix) unless on wifi. But surfing the web, checking and using email and using maps etc isn't that bad on data useage. I share 4 gigs with my wifey type and between the two of us never exceede 3gb
Of course, it is all in what you want/need but these are some real life tips that may help. Also, it is more likely to find your iPad with a cellular model because of the built in GPS chip and 'find my phone' shooting up your location ever 30 seconds or so, and wipe it if really stolen.
I went from an android to the mini. The difference is night and day. You will not look back or remotely want the android experience after using the iPad for just s few days.
NO, you do not have to pay extra for GPS, because paying 20 a month (per shared device) covers that.

Last edited:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I think the better question here is not to ask what software can prevent theft, but what can you do from now on to prevent it. Unless there's an app that can transform it to a flesh eating robot, you need to take better care of your items to prevent this from happening again.

johnnyfla123

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I use my ipad mini for everything school related and even at home when im working on work projects. its a nice device especially with a case that also allows it to sit landscape mode. I also have a wireless apple keyboard hooked up to it its basically like a second computer for quick google searches, music, can even use it as a second screen. I enjoy it alot more then i did with my old ipad 3. Also with Ios 7 stealing idevices ill be pointless due to apples security features they are adding.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Regardless of what you get, there's an app called 'Prey' which promises to work wonders if your iDevice gets stolen. It's free, which is a massive bonus, and you download the app and then register on their webpage. If your device gets stolen, just log in on the internet, set your device as stolen and it disables it, as well as tells you the location (this is where cellular might be better than WiFi. But anyone who steals an iPad or iPhone will probably turn it on in their home at some point to play with it), but most importantly it takes a picture with the front facing camera of the person, so you can track them down and break dance on their face (if they're smaller than you :) ). Alternatively, you can print all this off and take it to the police as evidence. OH, and you can register more than one device. I have my phone, tablet and macbook air all on there. Hope that helps.

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.