Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Heh.. Earthquakes in SoCal, and tornados yesterday up here in NorCal.

Being from the midwest, I'll take the tornados. ;)

BL.

I'd much rather have the earthquakes, as long as you're in a building that is somewhat new they are built to withstand them and it would take a huge earthquake to do much damage.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yellowstone Park( a super volcano) is among the recent rounds of earthquakes with a 4.8.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Ok that is scary stuff. If that sucker goes off....... :eek:

The Nemaha fault line, which goes slightly west of the Missouri river, and down through Oklahoma is roughly 210 years late for going off. there were a couple of rumbles there, but it is long overdue.

There is another fault line that is more concerning than both the San Andreas and Hayward faults to make California go away (trying to remember the name; it was mentioned on a news bump yesterday), as it cuts right through the bulk of the Los Angeles area. It is closer to the ones that have gone off over the past few days, but is also overdue. That one is more dangerous, because of it being a lot closer to the buildings than San Andreas, Ludlow, or Hayward.

If either of those in California go off, I'm going to have beachfront property at my place in Las Vegas! ;)

BL.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
If either of those in California go off, I'm going to have beachfront property at my place in Las Vegas! ;)

BL.

Californians though might want to split off from the rest of the US. As they will be further away from Yellowstone. That beachfront property you will have in Las Vegas will be useless when it is buried under volcanic ash. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We had a 3.9 quake about a half hour ago in the west side of Los Angeles. Local time 4:07am. Probably woke a few people up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.