Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I'm a very novice digital photographer. I just read about Exif Everywhere (on the Mac App Store) over on the TUAW blog.

I'm looking for a simple way to view metadata, and strip my own photos of it before posting. The Exif Everywhere seems to be pretty perfect for my purposes, but it'd be great if I could bulk-strip the metadata from entire libraries or iPhoto Events at a time.

I'd appreciate any brief, constructive input about the software or anything similar.

Thanks

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I'm a very novice digital photographer. I just read about Exif Everywhere (on the Mac App Store) over on the TUAW blog.

I'm looking for a simple way to view metadata, and strip my own photos of it before posting. The Exif Everywhere seems to be pretty perfect for my purposes, but it'd be great if I could bulk-strip the metadata from entire libraries or iPhoto Events at a time.

I'd appreciate any brief, constructive input about the software or anything similar.

Thanks

What do you use for post-production? Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge, and Aperture all will let you view metadata (EXIF, IPTC, etc). I don't use iPhoto, but that should, too.

As far as stripping, all of those applications will allow you to specific metadata templates for your photos, and if you choose to, set templates with 'blanked'/wiped attributes.

But is there any reason why you'd wipe metadata?

Last edited:

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I have and use iPhoto, but I find it slow and cumbersome. My interest in stripping metadata is that I am not a professional, so I don't need the data embedded in the photographs.

However, I am a bit of privacy advocate, so anything I post to social media, etc., I want the data removed.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
The simplest way to view exif data is to view pictures in Preview, go to Tools, Show Inspector.

I don't understand the need to strip exif from shots, I and many others learn a heap from seeing what settings were used to make a shot. Just don't have identifiable stuff on there if you don't want to be identified, that I understand.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
If your concern is on the consumer side, then you won't need to strip metadata when posting on social media because Facebook, instagram, Twitter (or whatever backend twitter defaults to for image hosting) all strip metadata when they resample/downsize your photo for the public.

If your concern is for any photo that is uploaded to any server anywhere, then you can use ImageMagick to wipe EXIF. I believe the tool in ImageMagick is mogrify.

Code:
mogrify -strip <filename>

You can use ExifTool to read exif data: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.