Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I am thinking about getting a new mac but I am worried I am going to lose all the activations to my programs (e.g., office, photoshop etc). If I backup to time machine does it keep all my programs activated?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So if I do a backup to time machine before formatting all my programs that are activated should just transfer over?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am thinking about getting a new mac but I am worried I am going to lose all the activations to my programs (e.g., office, photoshop etc). If I backup to time machine does it keep all my programs activated?

If you do a full backup with Time Machine then use that to import your data with Migration Assistant on the new machine, it will copy over all your applications. But many of them will not work until you reenter the registration serial numbers on the new machine. Adobe and MS apps are particularly bad about this.

I see you mentioned Photoshop specifically. Every time I have ever seen a user move PS over like this they had to reenter the registration. Make sure you "deactivate" apps on the old machine also.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
How would I deacctivate? Just uninstall? If I deacctivate then can I reactive on my new machine?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How would I deacctivate? Just uninstall? If I deacctivate then can I reactive on my new machine?

It has been a while... but I think deactivate is under the help menu in PS. You will then need to reenter the serial number on the new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.