Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robin0627

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I am not a computer expert but I heard that SSD has much less write and read times than traditional hard disk. So it is not advisable to use Torrent apps with SSD as this shorten its life. But is it true?:confused::confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am not a computer expert but I heard that SSD has much less write and read times than traditional hard disk. So it is not advisable to use Torrent apps with SSD as this shorten its life. But is it true?:confused::confused:
You probably won't exceed the maximum writes for many years, if you're a typical user.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
With that reasoning you shouldn't so anything with your SSD.

It's certainly true that SSD's have fewer writes but the precautions you're willing to take are a personal call that you have to make. I'd suggest just using it as you like.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Agreed with the others. You shouldn't be afraid of this. In addition to the others' post, also keep in mind if a memory cell on our SSD becomes dead, it'll just been mapped out. All you'll notice is just the slightly decreased capacity and nothing else - the entire SSD won't just break down.

robin0627

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks!!!! I don't have to transfer the large files from my old macbook to the rMBP now:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.