Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hi!

I am looking for an iPad photography app that will let me take my finger, paint a mask/layer over an area of a picture (or better yet, let me select a selection by color, and adjusting the "filter" of that selection by strength) and then allow me to make an adjustment JUST to that selection.

I really like how snapseed works, but it's not as exact as I would like, as the selection area can only be a circle. Any ideas?? I'd like it to be user-friendly-ish also :)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Both Filterstorm ($3.99) and PhotoStudio ($2.99) allow you to "paint" the area of the photo that you want to apply your filter to. Filterstorm is universal, so I have it both on my iPhone and iPad, but PhotoStudio is just on my iPhone. I think Filterstorm may be a little more powerful, and PhotoStudio may be a little more user friendly.

I see Filterstorm has a Pro version for $14.99. :eek:

Regards,
Tom

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks!

I have filterstorm, but I just can't seem to figure out that workflow ... I'll look at PhotoStudio. Thanks again!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks!

I have filterstorm, but I just can't seem to figure out that workflow ...

Yeah, I practically have to figure it out each time I use it. :rolleyes:

BUT, after I posted this, I played around with it a little more, and figured a few things out. Try this once, and you might get the hang of it:

1. Load a photo
2. Tap on "Layers" tab
3. Turn layers ON, but don't do anything more here.
4. Go to "Filters" tab
5. Tap "Blur" just as an example
6. On the next screen, tap the paintbrush icon labelled "mask"
7. On the next screen, tap the paintbrush icon and start painting where you want to blur. Just paint a big blob in the middle.
8. Click the "OK" checkmark, and go back to the "Layers" tab.

Now you should see the mask layer that you made. The white area will be the unaffected area, and the black is the affected area. If you want to make a change to your new mask, tap on it and you'll be back in the editing screen.

You can use other tools besides the paintbrush to make your mask, and you can have multiple mask layers that you can go back and change individually before applying to your photo for good.

HTH! If nothing else, you helped boost me up the learning curve!

Regards,
Tom
[Added later: Just saw that in addition to the paintbrush tool, there's a color pick tool to apply filters to a specific color, just like you're looking for.]

Last edited:

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
That was unbelievably helpful!!

Can you help with this workflow? There are some areas of the photo that are overblown, and I want to reduce the brightness of just that selected area... How would I do that?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
That was unbelievably helpful!!

Can you help with this workflow? There are some areas of the photo that are overblown, and I want to reduce the brightness of just that selected area... How would I do that?

Glad that helped!

For the case of brightness, it's basically the same as the above example, but now when you go to Filters, choose Brightness/Contrast. On the next screen, move the Brightness and/or Contrast circles up/down on the scale at the side, and see the effect it will have in the side-by-side example image. When you get the effect you want, you can tap the check to apply to the whole image. Or, choose the Paintbrush again and you'll go to a similar screen as before where you can choose what tool to apply the effect selectively. (Note the cross arrows above the paintbrush on this screen. Tapping that allows you to move the image around and zoom in/out to get better control.)

As you see, it's the same process to apply any of the filters in the list. Either apply to the whole image, or choose to do it selectively, and select how to do it (paintbrush, by color, etc.).

Regards,
Tom

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Tom,

two things:

1) Any way to see a side by side of before/after, or even just to see the history of the before?

2) I wish I could paint an area, select brightness, and then move the brightness slider to see how it applies it to the mask in real time. It seems the only way to do it is to select the brightness you want FIRST ??

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Tom,

two things:

1) Any way to see a side by side of before/after, or even just to see the history of the before?

2) I wish I could paint an area, select brightness, and then move the brightness slider to see how it applies it to the mask in real time. It seems the only way to do it is to select the brightness you want FIRST ??

Not sure about the first item, but I just figured out how to do the second one, which is pretty cool! Here's an example:

1. Start with a fresh image and choose a filter (Brightness/Contrast).
2. Use the slider to make a very noticeable difference. You'll change the amount later, you just want your paint area to be noticeable.
3. Choose the paintbrush, and on the next screen choose the paintbrush again.
4. Paint the area that you want to change, and click the OK checkmark.
5. Tap the Layers tab. Now, you'll see on the side bar an icon of your image, and an icon of the mask under the heading of the Filter you used.
6. Tap the icon of your image to Edit Image.
7. Now, you'll see all the available Filters again on the side bar. Again, choose Brightness/Contrast.
8. Now, when you slide the slider, you're changing the Brightness/Contrast in the Mask area like you wanted.

Another thing you can do when you're in the Layers tab, is tap on the icon above the Edit Image icon (the icon looks like 3 little sliders). A side bar will pop up with a lot of choices I have no idea about, except the top one, which is "Duplicate Layer". This will duplicate the mask that you made, and allow you to add a different effect in the exact same area.

FYI - I think I may have uncovered a bit of buggy behavior when applying a second effect with an existing mask. I went to blur an area that I had already changed Brightness/Contrast, and as I was adjusting the Blur amount, the image started to look goofy, with a big black area appearing. When I clicked "OK", everything looked fine again, with the Blur applied.

Regards
Tom

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Sweetness!!!!

Now my next thing is what if I want to apply one effect to a certain area, and another effect to a totally different area/mask?

Tom, thank you SO much!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Sweetness!!!!

Now my next thing is what if I want to apply one effect to a certain area, and another effect to a totally different area/mask?

Tom, thank you SO much!

Oh, that one's easy! After you finished one effect, just go back to the Filters tab, and start another. After you painted the area with the new effect, when you go into the Layers tab you'll see you have a whole new layer. You can make changes to earlier layers from here if you want, too.

There's a limit to 5 active layers due to memory constraints, but you can collapse layers if you need to keep going. The only downside is you can't make any changes to those layers again.

I'm glad I've been able to help, but for how much I've learned, I'm just as thankful! I've been meaning to come up to speed with this for some time.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.