Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
If you are a Note2 owner you know that the Amoled display has a yellow tint when viewing something that should display as white, like the white background of the google homepage vs. how it displays on an iPhone.

I found an app that is supposed to minimize this problem called "Screen Adjuster," which allows you to control RGB settings. To get rid of the yellow you should add the opposite color which is purple, made up of red and blue and the yellow tint should go away.

Can someone with a Note2 test this out?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&hl=en

Thanks!

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I don't notice much of a yellowish tint.

The only thing I notice is that red and orange colors make my eye bleed. Had to tone it down.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I turned up the Green and Blue by 1% and it makes hardly any difference ... expectedly. If I turn it up to 2 or 3% for those colors then the screen looks imbalanced, the grey status bar starts to look too green and blue. But little adjustments reduce the yellow tint.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
To be fair the Note 2 displays whites much yellower than a regular LCD, right now I have the purple settings up 2% and I guess its better? The key here is that in actually using the device, you don't see a yellow tint, only when comparing it with a different LCD screen.

mkanet

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Correcting white balance with suggested values

Yeah some people arent too sensitive to white color. Im using the app called Screen Adjuster. I had to considerably pump up the blue color to 19 and Red to 4. Green at 0 to give an even white balance. The white will never be as bright as solid RGB colors; but at least the white balance is pretty close to as good as it will get with my new color adjustments.

This issue is caused by the strange narrow shaped blue subpixels on the RGB AMOLED screen (purposefully done by samsung to increase life expectency of the blue subpixels.. blue subpixels tend to generally wear out sooner than the respective red and green subpixels on normal RGB LCD displays). Pretty lame. The Galaxy S3 pentile amoled display has a strange issue as well which causes the opposite effect (too much blue).

Im surprised there arent more people who noticed this issue. Even my old junk original HTC EVO had much better bright and balanced white color.

I decided to leave the oversaturated defaut "standard" display colors setting. But honestly the "natural" color setting is more correct.

Last edited:

dude18

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Try the latest perseus kernel. The devs have done an amazing job with the screen. They calibrated the screen with a spectrophotometer and implemented that in the kernel.

mkanet

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
I just re-adjusted my colors to where they look pretty good; and, doesnt require rooting, flashing Rom, flashing kernel, etc (flashing firmware isnt really an attractive solution IMO). I'm curious what people think after they try this on a stock, unrooted Note 2 (takes less than 2 minutes):

1. Install Screen Adjuster.

2. Set Red=3, Green=0, Blue=13, Brightness=100% (in Screen adjuster and enable settings).

3. Set System "Screen Mode" to Natural.

I have Brightness set to 100% to take advantage of maximum contrast ratio; but you can reduce to your liking.

Try the latest perseus kernel. The devs have done an amazing job with the screen. They calibrated the screen with a spectrophotometer and implemented that in the kernel.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

+ a gabillion

My note2 screen easily outclasses my 3rd Gen iPad now

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Not noticing a yellow tint at all here on my Note 2. Tried all the default display modes on in the display menu. Even the "iphone like" Natural mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.