Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
This is.... Well I can't really describe it. Sort of amazing really. So these restaurant owners are featured on Kitchen Nightmares this past Friday. The show reveals this restaurant uses store bought food( A) Not organic B) Not Fresh), owners steal tips from employees, and threaten customers. Gordon ends up walking out on them. Obviously being featured on the show brings publicity. You can imagine it brought bad publicity..... So the owners on their facebook page retaliated.......

It is really quite amazing to read and watch the 20 minute clip of the latter half of the episode.......

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-is-the-most-epic-brand-meltdown-on-facebook-ever

Here is another page with them threatening the customer when the show was getting some B-roll.....

http://eater.com/archives/2013/05/13/gordon-ramsay-kitchen-nightmares-amys-baking-company.php

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I know the sort. The red mist tends to descend upon them when the internet is no longer their oyster. Before you know it, caps lock is ON, aggressive language flows from the end of their fingertips, lawyers are 'called' and all in all nothing happens other than them making a total tit of themselves.

The internet is one of the few places where ignorance is considered bliss.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I know the sort. The red mist tends to descend upon them when the internet is no longer their oyster. Before you know it, caps lock is ON, aggressive language flows from the end of their fingertips, lawyers are 'called' and all in all nothing happens other than them making a total tit of themselves.

The internet is one of the few places where ignorance is considered bliss.

The amazing thing is, they are not hiding behind the internet like other morons do( such as on youtube). These people act this way in real life in front of customers in their restaurant.....

They fired a waitress because she was making sure the food was going to the right table.....

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Wow. Just watched the YouTube vid.

1. Amy is a total moron.
2. It's nice to see Gordon kick some US butt.
3. American TV has an absurd amount of ad breaks.
4. I could run a better restaurant. I did used to be a Chef but I think even without that experience... I'd say I'd probably do a better job.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Gets even better.... Amy is a felon. She got the loan using another persons SS #......

Her real name is Amanda Patricia Bossingham.

The court ordered her to pay $36,294.95 in restitution. Ms. Bossingham plead guilty to submitting an application for a line of credit with M & I Bank using the social security number of another person. The Bank approved the line of credit in the amount of $15,000.

On June 15, 2004, the Court sentenced her to fourteen months prison. (she appealed, but eventually lost, reported to prison in Oct, 7, 2008)

http://www.plainsite.org/flashlight/case.html?id=20189

This "bakery" is owned by felons involved in identity theft - likely a money laundering operation for Sammy

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Wow. Just watched the YouTube vid.

I just watched the video too. That was probably the first time Chef Ramsey didn't need to provide any extra drama. I've seen a few episodes of Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares, so I know how much *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* he uses to spice up an episode. Not in this episode. He talked like a normal person here. The owner provided more *bleep* *bleep* *bleep* and drama than a room full of teenagers.:eek:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The FB stuff is not taken down and they are saying their page was "Obviously" hacked. It was funny stuff. Just wow.

Gets even better.... Amy is a felon. She got the loan using another persons SS #......

Great, makes me want to eat there even more and use my credit card or debit card to pay! Good lord.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I just saw the episode on hulu it is almost better than what they are doing on the web, the latest ones:

They keep deleting and removing comments on their facebook page. Especially their own. [I have had my comments deleted then come back over and over again.]

They have a new facebook page as well claiming it is the only authentic one. Too bad their own web site says otherwise.

Their most recent tweet points to an e online article. An article that talks about the facebook meltdown. A big 'huh?' there.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I saw a post to Fark about this earlier today, and just finished watching the episode.

Wow... just wow.

quagmire, I think the "money laundering" comment in your quote may be spot-on.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Watching the episode and looking at their yelp reviews and FB page has entertained me for the past hour

Only an hour? I got caught up reading Katy's IamA on reddit for at least 2 hours. Plus another 40 minutes for the episode.

----------

quagmire, I think the "money laundering" comment in your quote may be spot-on.

Someone on reddit posted this, idk who the OP is as it's been getting passed around.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
There are many different ways to look at this.

But after watching the episode, my first thought was: People with mental illness can become pretty successful materially.

I say that as someone who has mental illness. The rules about whether someone has a mental illness or whether they are just mean or whatever are very murky. I don't have my problems manifest in the way these people do. But when I watch them (if they're not actors and this isn't some big charade), it seems to me that as a result of their personalities, they both are able to achieve a lot through drive but also self-destruct from very black-or-white, you're with me or against me type thinking.

You could call it mania, belligerence, borderline personality issues. I don't know. I can't diagnose it. But there's obviously an inability to take in information in the way that most people do.

There was a business owner near me who ran a yogurt shop, and I saw her snip at one of her employees, who was being cheerful and not doing anything wrong. It made me not want to go there again, but on the other hand, I always think: This is a person, who just as easily could be me, who has set on a risky venture of opening a business. I don't need to add to the suffering in the world by posting a review of her personality, but I noticed that others have on Yelp. In her case, this owner actually was able to take the feedback from what I could tell.

Anyhow, to go back to my very first thought after watching the show (people with mental illness can be materially successful), I guess I'm just impressed in some ways that they keep slogging along in spite of feeling attacked constantly.

If you view it through that lens, you can have a bit of sympathy for them. I think to myself, if I were a person who was incapable of getting along with people, I should be proud that I was able to run a business in spite of that.

The other problem they have is the self-fulfilling prophecy about bullying. They just need some counseling with a sensible person off-camera. What they're doing on their Facebook page is exactly what causes bullying. According to a psychology class I took, the two ways bullying is perpetuated are either by a person who never defends himself or a person who defends himself to excess. They're obviously doing the latter.

Anyhow, for people who have whatever it is they have, I admire their perseverance. It can't be easy being them. Again, that is, if this story is really true. I'm not sure how much I believe these reality shows.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This lady should be committed. Wow.

Can't say I'm surprised though, the restaurant industry is full of people like this. What a horrible industry to work in.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
This is like watching a slow motion car wreck. From multiple cameras.

Time to take a break from commenting on their facebook page. To rewatch their episode on hulu.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
She went on the show for being bullied. And she is being bullied now. Look how much glee the people on their Facebook page are getting in poking the bear. But when people talk so much about having a zero tolerance for bullying, I don't think they realize that this in large part what bullying is. These people are obviously themselves bullies. But I think we often assume bullying takes place between a brawny kid and a meek kid. And that's true. But there are also very specific traits that lead to bullying, and her over defensiveness is the main very specific trait that leads to it.

She really could be helped with some very simple lessons on how to change her thought process. Unfortunately she went on a national TV show instead. And unfortunately for her the Internet is about to reinforce everything she's ever believed about the world. This is a woman who is going to not double down (she's already done that) but 50-down on the us vs. them. I honestly feel bad for them.

When you think about that show, who was really hurting the most? Those waitresses were mistreated yes, but they have good personalities and will land on their feet. They can get away from these people. These people, though, can't get away from themselves.

It's just so fascinating to me how the show can play one way with the intense music, but if she had happened to have had a diagnosis and the music was played a different way, people would be feeling sympathetic for her. Or at least recognize she has a problem that can't be easy to live with.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
She has done comments on the web responding to an online review in 2010 that were pretty much the same as now. No matter how her story was spun somebody would have dug up those posts.

Yes, she is getting poked with a stick quite a lot right now. I really have no sympathy for her, she brought this on herself.

I also do not feel she is the main one suffering from her actions as she can stop any time she wants. Their employees are the ones to suffer .... well, until they quit/get fire (which is quite frequently).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004

Not a big deal. This is how business is done in America. Resell someone else's food.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.