Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
SmugMug just recently did a total overhaul with redesigned portfolios. For me the GUI interface is nice but find it a little clunky, the bad thing is if you have a private gallery it will show those photo's unprotected.

Curious about your thoughts?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
SmugMug just recently did a total overhaul with redesigned portfolios. For me the GUI interface is nice but find it a little clunky, the bad thing is if you have a private gallery it will show those photo's unprotected.

Curious about your thoughts?

I was initially quite impressed with the new look.

However, the lack of a dedicated blogging solution (as compared with Squarespace) is a deal-breaker for me.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
There's an apparent problem that your photos can be easily downloaded (hi-res included) w/o being paid for (if you have smugmug pro) by simply having an iPad and Safari or Chrome. So there may be some kinks that need working out. As with all new stuff, I usually wait for several days or more before I dive in. I blocked my site with password protection until I ma sure this issue is resolved. SM has remained mum on this so far, BTW.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
As with all new stuff, I usually wait for several days or more before I dive in. I blocked my site with password protection until I ma sure this issue is resolved. SM has remained mum on this so far, BTW.

I noticed that about using with an iPad, also if you customize one design and decide to change to another, it won't let you do so with out it defaulting back to your 1st design. Forget about getting phone support.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Personally, I like the SmugMug redesign. I've been able to put together a decent layout quickly and without any of the custom coding I used previously. Kudos to SmugMug for listening to users.

Here is my redesign: Peter Derrington - Photography

I still have some adjustments and tweaking to do so feedback is most welcome.

Peter

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Personally, I like the SmugMug redesign. I've been able to put together a decent layout quickly and without any of the custom coding I used previously. Kudos to SmugMug for listening to users.

Here is my redesign: Peter Derrington - Photography

I still have some adjustments and tweaking to do so feedback is most welcome.

Peter

Looking really good Peter. No navigation problems and as always a pleasure to peruse your pictures. Nice, simple, clean and modern appearance.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Looking really good Peter. No navigation problems and as always a pleasure to peruse your pictures. Nice, simple, clean and modern appearance.

Thanks John...very much appreciated. :)

Hope to have shots from my Newfoundland trip up soon. The "Travel Gallery" is getting stale and feels too sparse to me.

Peter

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I love the new look. I never used SmugMug because of the older design they had.

I've been looking for a easier way to build a photography based website and I've been trying to maintain a Wordpress one, but I find it much too complicated to get it they way I like. SmugMug makes it easier, and simple.

I do like that Wordpress has a blogging feature though. I may just create a SmugMug page and just have it redirected to a Wordpress.com style blog for now.

I'm going to try Square Space too and see if that's just as easy since it has a blogging feature built it.

You can check out my SmugMug here. It should be working now (I recently transferred my domain name to Godaddy from Bluehost), as the link was coming up blank for a while.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'm quite pleased with the new Smugmug. I redid mine as well. But I might make future changes. My efforts were the work of about 1 hour with a nasty cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.