Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I have a feeling that Apple was working on a deal with providers but that failed.
That's why the massive shipment of set top boxes.
That's why the stream was not available on ATVs as people would want to DL the soft update instantly...

In regards to iPhones
no black = huge fail

I think new ATV software may be released along with Mavericks...

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Well, we will see a new update when iOS 7 is released next week. There's already been betas along with the iPhone and iPad betas. About the only new thing I expect to see is iTunes radio.

----------

If you mean without requiring a cable/satt subscription too, I'd say 0.25% (practically nill).

ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.

PhilippeDesra

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I hope so. They really need to stop treating it as a "hobby" if they could buy who they need to buy out and make deals they should be making they could be selling them like how they sell iPods.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
ESPN has already said about a month ago that they would be interested in providing a internet only package. I think both are holding out as long as possible because they are quite happy where they are in the market. But as soon as a few bigger names start doing it, they will jump right in.

ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
ESPN is Disney. Disney & Apple are better friends than any other media company & Apple. If there were a "few bigger names" that were going to do it with Apple, it would be ESPN (Disney). I'd love to see it... but it just isn't going to happen unless the much-dreamed-about "new model" can show ALL of the current players how they are going to make MORE money- not less. Apple is also wanting in on that action, which translates into more money + Apple's cut.

I've speculated before - and I don't know how realistic it is - that Apple has enough cash to pretty much buy 51% of Disney outright, and that they ought to. The Disney portfolio includes ABC, ESPN, whole or partial ownership of a variety of other cable channels, two film distribution labels, a radio conglomerate, at least one publishing imprint, and all of the LucasFilm production infrastruture, plus all of the Disney, Lucas, and Marvel IP. Not to mention the long-standing ties between the two companies to start with. If you wanted to change the way the media business works, what better than to become one of the players and blaze the trail yourself?

I think this becomes a far more realistic option if the US fixes their atrocious tax policy on repatriated foreign earnings, because the non-domestic cash pile is otherwise difficult to use for this.

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Apple TV software refresh arrives with iOS 7 on September 18th.

Nope, Apple didn’t show off new Apple TV hardware yesterday.
And Apple didn’t talk about new software for its Web video box, either. But it’s still coming.
People familiar with the company’s plans say Apple TV is scheduled for an internal overhaul on September 18th, the same day Apple releases its iOS 7 mobile operating software.

http://allthingsd.com/20130911/that-apple-tv-refresh-is-coming-next-week/

New software???

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I imagine the "new software" is primarily iOS7.

The one new feature that's being talked about is to authorize (on a temp basis, I guess) an ATV to use a second iTunes Store account for streaming purchased content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.