Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Boe11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Philip has been a great source of information and inspiration for me. There are a lot of early DSLR adopters that I have followed over the years but Mr. Bloom -at least to me- seems like the most genuinely passionate about the work and the tech. He's affable, and doesn't take himself too seriously (unlike some of his peers). I always enjoy seeing his work, and hearing his opinions on the gear and the industry.

Cheers, Mr. Bloom.
Boe11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 01:57 AM   #27
Policar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future DoP View Post
People hate on Philip because they are not nice and Philip is. Do you know 2 things or talk like you know and then be a nice guy. Next stop overnight success.

These people do not know to be nice. Their Moms probably did not do these teachins on them henceforth they cry and toss their stinky doodoos at peeps. Me I am nice and I plan to bring back SVHS. I prefer the patina of SVHS in comparisons to Mini-DV.
I agree completely.

There's a look to movies that's closely associated with the format on which they're shot. Technicolor has that punchy studio look, the American Renaissance has that gauzy diffused long lens look, there's a cool look inspired by Richardson and Kaminski that was popular in the early oughts with kind of a diffuse ENR feel with softer light or at least soft fill. Advances in technology shape what innovators make possible and then whatever they do is emulated and becomes a style associated with an era, for better or worse.

The problem then is that really early stuff shot on any format, incorporating new technology before it's mature, often looks awful (early sound movies are very static, early anamorphic has awful focus breathing and poor compositions, etc.) and that technology is moving so fast that a Red One movie doesn't look like an Alexa movie doesn't look like an F65 movie but they all have their own look. And because each is affordable low budget producers go after those cameras and pretty soon that shiny look is associated with cheap, low end content. So we have a lot of immature content that dates itself fast. What looks more timeless? The original Star Wars or the prequels? LoTR or the Hobbit?

Exactly...

Backward-looking content often looks best or is at least the most timeless. A lot of shows are being shot on super 16; a lot of art films are, too. Even pixelvision is kind of timeless, by virtue of dating itself immediately. Early Red films looked awful and the only ones that will be remembered fondly for their aesthetic (Prometheus, Social Network) will be remembered as such because they evoke a clinical, aseptic feeling that captures an unpleasant zeitgeist to begin with. An ugly look for an ugly world. I really dig the idea of shooting on SVHS if you can't afford super16. Makes you work harder and gives you an aesthetic edge and timelessness higher end cameras won't. Ironically the reason the Alexa is the most "future proof" camera is because it has an old, or at the very least conservative look. The colors are almost exactly that of Vision 3 5219!

As for being nice, being consistent and reliable is a little more important. Deliver a consistent product... and be nice about it if you can. Cheers, though. I wanted to do the SVHS thing but lacked the guts!
Policar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 06:34 AM   #28
salacious
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
lol find it hilarious that the bloomster replied to this thread, on a side note:

1. his reviews are what he feels is best described for him, not you so if you dont like his reviews buy the camera/equipment and test it yourself.

2. what exactly are you looking for in a review for it to be amazing? im looking for info, specs, ergonomics etc etc, are you looking for a star wars themed review about the latest tripod or something?

3. I agree with Bloom, to say he was in the right place in the right time is insulting, he works and he gets paid, he is only lucky in that he is obviously good at what he is doing otherwise he wouldnt be where he is now? are you doing any better or know him personally to say that hes just a lucky person to have been in the right place? meaning he has nothing reputable to his name that describes his ability to perform well?
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #29
velo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Some posters on here need less posting and more working on their craft before they start critiquing other peoples work. Always seems to be the lesser lights.

Some people will never be "in the right place at the right time" because they don't understand or do the hard yards behind making it "overnight".

Last edited by velo; Jun 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
velo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:35 AM   #30
Siderz
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo View Post
Some posters on here need less posting and more working on their craft before they start critiquing other peoples work. Always seems to be the lesser lights.
I don't want to start an argument, but I don't understand how posting on a forum means that you don't have much skill.

I know for a fact that some of the people here are currently working on their craft.
__________________
focus
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:15 AM   #31
kokako
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Has anyone not learnt a thing or two in shooting HDSLR from Bloom? I certainly have, respect to him he deserves his success.

Last edited by kokako; Jun 9, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
kokako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:52 AM   #32
Future DoP
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policar View Post
I agree completely.

Advances in technology shape what innovators make possible and then whatever they do is emulated and becomes a style associated with an era, for better or worse.

So we have a lot of immature content that dates itself fast. What looks more timeless?

Early Red films looked awful and the only ones that will be remembered fondly for their aesthetic (Prometheus, Social Network) will be remembered as such because they evoke a clinical, aseptic feeling that captures an unpleasant zeitgeist to begin with. An ugly look for an ugly world.

Ironically the reason the Alexa is the most "future proof" camera is because it has an old, or at the very least conservative look. The colors are almost exactly that of Vision 3 5219!

I think you are a member of The American Society of Cinematographer or British Society of Cinematographer or Association of French Director of Photography maybe. What you say is groovy and it teaches me. Thank you for this forum to have a knowing person. Have a good time my friend.
Future DoP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:43 AM   #33
Magrathea
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
The problem with the internet

The problem with the internet and post like acearchie is we all have the same voice. So someone like acearchie can badmouth Mr Bloom and pretty much get away with it. Funny cos I've never heard of acearchie but Mr Bloom, yes. Sure he makes his living from filmmaking but he still has time to answer posts, give us a hard time sometimes , share his knowledge and teach. And acearchie, never heard of him and for all we know he could work at Tescos? Funny because most posts like this are mainly from spotty faced kids in their parent basement but it looks like you're over 18.

Right place at the right time - sure, go read Outliers, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were too!

So before you bad mouth someone again, think, this is probably not the first time you've done this. All you've done is get the poor sensitive Mr Bloom a little riled up and made yourself look like a bit of a tit and probably not good for business too.
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:45 AM   #34
acearchie
macrumors 68030
 
acearchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrathea View Post
The problem with the internet and post like acearchie is we all have the same voice. So someone like acearchie can badmouth Mr Bloom and pretty much get away with it. Funny cos I've never heard of acearchie but Mr Bloom, yes. Sure he makes his living from filmmaking but he still has time to answer posts, give us a hard time sometimes , share his knowledge and teach. And acearchie, never heard of him and for all we know he could work at Tescos? Funny because most posts like this are mainly from spotty faced kids in their parent basement but it looks like you're over 18.
I don't see why I need a personal attack.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion on something regardless of whether I work with video or not. I'm not a chef but I can still tell if something tastes good or bad. I have worked with many people that have worked with Phillip and I have met him a couple of times myself.

I don't think I was rude or overly aggressive but I realise I didn't portray him in the most positive light.

Why do you have to have a dig at what I do or how old I am?

You praise Mr. Bloom for all the help he gives and assume that I'm a Tescos worker (what's wrong with that). I have over 2,000 posts in this forum, mostly in digital photography and digital video where I have tried to help people with their problems and encourage discussion. This forum taught me a lot and I try to give back but when someone like you comes out of the woodwork and starts to talk negatively about me and praise Mr. Bloom it makes me wonder why I bother.

I have to say that your post comes across as quite hypocritical and you're starting to sound like your own analogy.
acearchie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 04:36 PM   #35
Siderz
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
I don't see why I need a personal attack.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion on something regardless of whether I work with video or not. I'm not a chef but I can still tell if something tastes good or bad. I have worked with many people that have worked with Phillip and I have met him a couple of times myself.
I agree with acearchie, you can't just personally attack someone from sharing their opinion.

I don't know how you could possibly start assuming that someone lives in their parents' basement and does nothing all day from a forum post, and to counter that, you can just click his portfolio in his signature.
__________________
focus
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:14 PM   #36
Freezorro
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
All the people who read it. I don't hate Philip Bloom, I respect him. Some things simply irritate me. Some things he does. He could do so much better. Just this damn striving for attention makes him less of a filmmaker and more of a celebrity. I prefer to look up to people like Luke Neumann, from Neumann Films, or Tom Guilmette, or couple of others, who seem to absolutely don't care about attention. Philip Bloom is a great, charming and photogenic guy. His sense of humor requires some work though. He still thinks he is funny however.

I know if Philip Bloom would read that, he wouldn't like it, but he would take the criticism and think of it, and at least consider some things to improve. It is a great attitude to have. The only thing he lacks is a virtue. I mean by that to be humble, modest, and don't brag which looks like a constantly defending himself.





"Why Philip Bloom is not a god" - by Dick Whigger


1. The most (means not all) of the people who show any sign of the "hatriotism" toward Philip Bloom, are jealous (I don't think Tom Guilmette is jealous).

2. Philip Bloom is famous mostly among DSLR users, mainly because of the reasons discussed earlier in this topic. Top cinematographers, ASC people etc. have never heard of the guy. I asked a few of them, what do they think of Philip Bloom's work. The answer was, "Who?"

3. Philip Bloom brags about hard work, 25 years in business, hard work, making it on your own, hard work, 25 years in business, hard work, blah blah blah... I know about people who worked more than that in the business and still suck (their work), or just can't make it to the "fame" level like Philip Bloom. I also know about people who are in ASC, who make top films (not necessarily Hollywood), and don't brag. One thing Philip Bloom is right about is, it all depends on you.

4. Philip Bloom likes attention. I have met him in person on a few occasions, so I can tell that. Moreover, he looks for attention. Most of the people like attention, appreciation, being recognized for what they do. But some, just do it and all this comes itself, some do it and look for it. Philip Bloom seeks attention. It seems, the older he gets, the more he needs it. Well, you have to be "older" than "younger" after 25 years in the business, right?

5. Philip Bloom brags about how little you need to make outstanding project, etc. But all his outstanding projects were shot on top of the line gear, with top of the line accessories which for us would cost a fortune. He gets this stuff for free, like Kessler or Zacuto. I can't afford Zacuto. It's overpriced anyway. I have a lot of Kessler stuff, I even have Philip Bloom signature slider. I kiss it every night (right on the signature). No I don't. I own it because I bought it on eBay, for 30% of the retail price. Still, after the purchase the hunger was chasing my butthole, but I survived, and now I can brag I have THE signature slider. All my filmmaker friends are jealous now.

6. All the work of Philip Bloom can be easily replicated. Nothing too special about it, nothing too creative. It is a good level, regular work. Nothing special though.

7. Right place at the right time? No. He was just one of the first people, and at least he knows what he is doing. Philip Bloom knows his craft of cinematography, he's good at it, you can't say he's not. But his "success" and the possibility of that he is able to make money of that DSLR trend, is because he was one of the first. You were not, so all you stop being jealous and live with it. People like Mitch or whatever his name is, who created Planet5D was also first. The thing is that Mbitch does not know a thing about filmmaking. He sucks all the way, but he makes money of "it" because he also was first. So if you need to be jealous, be jealous of the Mitch dude (or whatever his name is).

8. Philip Bloom is an upgraded version of Dave Dougdale. And Dave Dougdale is an upgrade of Mitch (or whatever his name is). If you know these personas, you will know what I am writing about.

9. I respect Philip Bloom for what he does:
a) sharing his knowledge and experience with the wide audience
  • it's still partially for money, because he definitely benefits from his blog financially, but at least it's a good work for free for us, not like some b**ls**t crap from people who want to sell some b**ls**t tutorials about stuff which is already for free, like "How to use Canon T3i" for morons, and later they make series of "how to use..." I watched free samples of that kind of work (like Dave Dougdale's) and it is trash. $14.99 or whatever just to learn that "if the number with the letter f at the end is lower, the background will be more blurred." For morons, by morons.
b) putting time to make videos of the equipment I can't afford to buy or rent. And I mean closeups, good angles, and showing me what the heck is going on. I can understand that without touching the actual equipment. Other people who make similar videos seem to be retarded in that area.
c) presenting himself in front of the camera and in the public. He just looks professional, clean, and elegant. Most of the filmmakers look like geeks, who are afraid of shower, haircut, hair products, and they like too much cargo pants. Girls don't like guys in cargo pants. Philip Bloom seems to get it.
d) supporting charities
e) not getting involved in political or religious discourse

10. I don't respect (doesn't mean disrespect) Philip Bloom for:
a) bragging all the time same thing like he defends himself
b) his video work
c) seeking attention
d) tweeting about b**ls**t and his private life, which I find boring because I don't care about his private life. That's why I unsubscribed from all his social media. Because I was sick of the pictures of cats and his need for attention. Before when he was getting popular, his posts, tweets and FB stuff was meaningful, always some information. Now it's more like bad breath.
e) bragging all the damn time about "going out and shoot" and making it on your own and defending himself that this is what he does, but he seems to be blind and can't get the information, that the majority of people who he is talking to have a day job, plus they can't afford even 10th of the equipment he already has. Shooting is his job. Most of his audience would want shooting to be their job. It is a huge difference, which seems that he simply cannot understand.


Kind Regards,
The person who has not enough balls, but enough brain to not reveal his or her personal name, because he or she doesn't look for attention. Who am I kidding. I just want to stay anonymous since I have met the guy.
Freezorro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.K. iTunes Radio Competitor Bloom.fm Shutting Down After Being Blocked From iAd MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 54 May 5, 2014 04:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC