Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulCC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hello:
I have collected a large collection of photos I took over the years. I am afraid it's more quantity than quality, but that is a different subject :)

I was wondering if there is a tool to do the following:
- keep selected photos on the main computer
- keep a small preview of all photos on the main computer
- support storage of full size photos on a set of external drives
- keep track of all the copies of the photos on several external drives on the main computer, so one can quickly find which external drive the original is on
- perform synchronisation of new photos to external drives, multiple sets for redundancy
- possibly even synchronise selected photos on the cloud

As I am re-reading the above, it sounds like a a lot of specialized requirements, but it seems to me like this is an issue facing anyone with a large set of media files.

PaulCC.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe you can give a try....

to Aperture. Seems to me almost anything in your list can be done with it, natively or with plug ins, if you do some research. Only thing I doubt is about the cloud. But maybe Adobe Lightroom can be useful too.:):apple:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
With Lightroom you can keep the library database and thumbnails on an internal drive...and have photos in that library sitting on N other drives. The key is to move photos with LR, not the OS. When you move photos outside of LR, LR does not have a clue where the photos are located.

The last 3TB USB 3 drive we puchased at Costco was something like $130. So you can likely put all of you scattered photos onto one drive. And naturally use Time Machine to backup that drive (and all the others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.