Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
How many people would be interested in a Mac Mini Pro like this:

Summary:

Essentially the new Mac Pro would be based on a very compact core unit, and several stackable thunderbolt expension stations the size of the core unit.

So would anyone else want this?

Very interested.
And apparently Apple is too, after today's WWDC keynote.
Not stackable for now, most likely due to cooling issues.
Interesting to see how quiet the thing is, since fans are probably necessary.

I've expected something more or less like the 2013 Mac Pro since Thunderbolt was released.
Core unit with limited internal expandability, Thunderbolt plus legacy (FireWire) connectors
for external expandability. The era of the "big box of components" is over.

MacNerd1239

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts, USA
I want the new technology with internal expandability (old case?) and the new price. Made in America. I'm a lover of technology, the old tower design was what made it so attractive to me. I want a tower, I want a big 50 pound desktop and I don't care how quiet or efficient it is, I want it to perform and I want to be able to swap parts in and out as I please. Simple as that.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Honestly when I posted this it was more of a wish list, of my highest expectations of Apple.

It turns out that Apple decided to take the idea and run with it to the point of extreme.

They added pci express flash storage, and dual video cards to the core unit, made the form factor a horizontal dyson fan, and then added and polished everything to the max.

I can't wait for the Mac Pro.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Reviving this thread in light of the recent announcement. If they allow up to dual high-core-count CPUs, I would be willing to invest in one.

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Reviving this thread in light of the recent announcement. If they allow up to dual high-core-count CPUs, I would be willing to invest in one.

That's a great point. There's a lot of emphasis from Apple concerning the GPU limitations of the current design. I hope I can put more processors in the new Mac Pro, as I do a lot of CPU-based rendering. 16-20 cores BTO please, or at least the ability to install them myself down the road.

Reactions: Zwhaler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.