Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502

Whats the best plan for 2 on ATT ?

Possibly thinking of leaving Android, for 2 new iPhone5, but might wait until the Jailbreak is out first. But looking at a family plan, for my Wife and I, would go ATT route, whats the best monthly price you can get ?

I did a little research on ATT site, and for two phones would be $179/Month, ouch, was looking to get that down cheaper.

ATT has free mobile to mobile, but that's to ATT phones only ? Not any mobile to mobile ?

We ditched our home phone, and I use my phone for sales / business, I need at least 1,000 minutes a month during the week, my Wife rarely uses her phone during the week, so I chose the 1400 minute package. We both use unlimited texts, and data we both stay under 2gb per month. Is there a plan with my requirements that can be cheaper than $179/month ?

Or am I better off, wait for an Unlocked iPhone5, just use on Straight Talk, would be $90/month for 2 months, but no LTE, just HSPA+.

Opinions please.
Tig Bitties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
compwiz1202
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig Bitties View Post
Possibly thinking of leaving Android, for 2 new iPhone5, but might wait until the Jailbreak is out first. But looking at a family plan, for my Wife and I, would go ATT route, whats the best monthly price you can get ?

I did a little research on ATT site, and for two phones would be $179/Month, ouch, was looking to get that down cheaper.

ATT has free mobile to mobile, but that's to ATT phones only ? Not any mobile to mobile ?

We ditched our home phone, and I use my phone for sales / business, I need at least 1,000 minutes a month during the week, my Wife rarely uses her phone during the week, so I chose the 1400 minute package. We both use unlimited texts, and data we both stay under 2gb per month. Is there a plan with my requirements that can be cheaper than $179/month ?

Or am I better off, wait for an Unlocked iPhone5, just use on Straight Talk, would be $90/month for 2 months, but no LTE, just HSPA+.

Opinions please.
Mobile Share with unlimited talk/text and 4GB shared data is $150+fees+tax/month. That is what we have. If you need 6GB it will be $160+fees+tax/month
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
ozziegn
macrumors 6502a

you could do the 4GB Mobile Shared plan that would give you:

$150/month

4GBs of data between two devices (including tethering if needed)
Unlimited Minutes within the USA along with unlimited text

-Pure and simple?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502

Thanks, I looked up the Mobile Share plan with 4gb data, and that comes out to $150, with unlimited text and unlimited minutes, which I need.

I have the Verizon plan, with Galaxy Nexus, my Wife and I on a very similar plan, unlimited minutes + texts, and 2Gb data each, my total bill is like $240/Month And we don't even use the 4G/LTE, is a big battery drain on the Nexus, sure it's fast as all heck, but the battery drains like leaving the water on. How is the iPhone5 if left on 4G all the time ? Can you last a full business day ?

My only concern, would be downgrading to the small 4" screen, and lack of customization I like with Android, but nothing an upcoming jailbreak can't fix, hopefully that's out by year end ?

But the design of the iPhoen5 is breathtaking, and the new Element case just looks so bad ass, plus I love thin phones, and I do find the Nexus @ 4.65" screen size to be borderline almost too large, I really like a 4.3" screen. But the new Android phones @ 4.7" and 4.8" are starting to get a tad too large for me, is honestly hard to one hand operate them, no matter what anyone says, unless your Lebron James with big hands.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

depending on your FAN discount, mobile share really isn't cheaper

Edit: It's also worth noting that you can use Facetime over AT&T's network and not have to rely solely on wi-fi if you chose to do the mobile share plans
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Jayohwhy
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I have the Verizon plan, with Galaxy Nexus, my Wife and I on a very similar plan, unlimited minutes + texts, and 2Gb data each, my total bill is like $240/Month And we don't even use the 4G/LTE, is a big battery drain on the Nexus, sure it's fast as all heck, but the battery drains like leaving the water on. How is the iPhone5 if left on 4G all the time ? Can you last a full business day ?
I'm on verizon, with unlimited minutes and text- 2 lines: my iphone 5 and my husbands galaxy s3. We share 8 gigs and pay $180 a month. how is your bill so much?
Jayohwhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
compwiz1202
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks, I looked up the Mobile Share plan with 4gb data, and that comes out to $150, with unlimited text and unlimited minutes, which I need.

My only concern, would be downgrading to the small 4" screen, and lack of customization I like with Android, but nothing an upcoming jailbreak can't fix, hopefully that's out by year end ?

But the design of the iPhoen5 is breathtaking, and the new Element case just looks so bad ass, plus I love thin phones, and I do find the Nexus @ 4.65" screen size to be borderline almost too large, I really like a 4.3" screen. But the new Android phones @ 4.7" and 4.8" are starting to get a tad too large for me, is honestly hard to one hand operate them, no matter what anyone says, unless your Lebron James with big hands.
The Verizon Share Everything would be $150 for the same choices as with AT&T. My iPhone was barely even getting down to maybe 80% in the beginning, but now it is draining more. I think I need to stop using GPS for some apps. However, we don't have LTE yet in Lehigh Valley, PA, just fake 4G It's supposed to come by the end of the year.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
depending on your FAN discount, mobile share really isn't cheaper

Edit: It's also worth noting that you can use Facetime over AT&T's network and not have to rely solely on wi-fi if you chose to do the mobile share plans
So with Mobile share plan, Face Time is not counted as data ? That is BS ATT is pulling, with charging extra for FaceTime, I have a big issue with that. Data is data, they should not charge extra on how I use my data, if I go over my 2GB's ok, charge me, but not just for FaceTime. Whats next, YouTube data will be extra ?

By the by, how is FaceTime ? For families I could see it being cool, the Wife can call me, when I am with the kiddies and see each other ? Is it cool, or a gimmick ?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
compwiz1202
macrumors regular

Quote:
So with Mobile share plan, Face Time is not counted as data ? That is BS ATT is pulling, with charging extra for FaceTime, I have a big issue with that. Data is data, they should not charge extra on how I use my data, if I go over my 2GB's ok, charge me, but not just for FaceTime. Whats next, YouTube data will be extra ?

By the by, how is FaceTime ? For families I could see it being cool, the Wife can call me, when I am with the kiddies and see each other ? Is it cool, or a gimmick ?
It's always counted as data; AT&T just blocks cellular facetime unless you are on Mobile Share. You can always Facetime on Wifi no matter what.

I do agree, at least for tiered data, that it shouldn't matter.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:25 AM   #10
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

fyi, AT&T is the only cellular company that requires you to switch to a mobile share plan just to use that Facetime over cellular feature... all data is not created equal
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone