Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
I'm contemplating switching out my wifi mini for a LTE model. I have never had a cellular ipad and would like the pay as needed type service. My one question remaining is, how much data monthly is typical? I only plan to use it for email, web, and occasional YouTube. No movies or streaming music. Thanks

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Thank you for your response. I don't anticipate using LTE very often so I guess I'll likely start with the lowest plan and see how that works out. Can I add minutes or upgrade my plan as needed?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There is no typical. It all comes down to individual use. Personally, I mostly use the web and email, and not daily, maybe 3-4 times a week. No video. I use less than a 1GB a month.

If you stream more than a few short TV shows a month or use something like Pandora day in, day out, then expect to use frequently then expect you usage to go to 3GB and beyond.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Unless I'm going on vacation, average monthly use is only about 300mb. I'm mostly around wifi but still wanted it in those limited instances where there's no wifi.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I'm contemplating switching out my wifi mini for a LTE model. I have never had a cellular ipad and would like the pay as needed type service. My one question remaining is, how much data monthly is typical? I only plan to use it for email, web, and occasional YouTube. No movies or streaming music. Thanks

If WiFi is available at your given location, the iPad will always access the WiFi first.

I have an iPad 2 3G (AT&T) and use the data plan only when traveling. While I use it pretty heavily for web browsing, mapping, and traffic conditions when WiFi is not available, I've have never used the total 250MB before the 30 days expired.

Each individual's use is different, but it is really nice to have the cellular data available when needed.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Many thanks to all of you. You've all been a big help. I don't anticipate my needing it often but I think it will be really nice to have. Again thank you.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I used to be under 1GB, but after I got LTE I try to work hard to keep it under 3GB. Its so much faster, you find your usage goes up because its just that much more useful.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
if you don't stream or watch a bunch of video you will be hard pressed to use a GB a month. I buy an international plan of 120 MG for a month when I work overseas and have no trouble staying with in it for emails, texts and some light surfing.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Does AT&T still disable your SIM card if you let you account lapse due to non use? Wish they would not! I will use LTE in spurts not every month. I would have to get a new SIM card each time I wanted to restart:mad:

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I average about 1.5gb/mo with my iPad 3. I have it attached to my main plan, so I share 4 gb between all my devices.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Does AT&T still disable your SIM card if you let you account lapse due to non use? Wish they would not! I will use LTE in spurts not every month. I would have to get a new SIM card each time I wanted to restart:mad:

I've never had my AT&T sim card disabled even though I may go several months without buying a data plan. AT&T will deactivate your account, however, but all that means is that you just have to enter your credit card information again. But I've never had to replace my Sim card.

BTW, I'm in the U.S. and purchased my iPad 2 on launch day.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I've never had my AT&T sim card disabled even though I may go several months without buying a data plan. AT&T will deactivate your account, however, but all that means is that you just have to enter your credit card information again. But I've never had to replace my Sim card.

BTW, I'm in the U.S. and purchased my iPad 2 on launch day.

Thanks, I must have imagined it. Good to hear!

Thank you

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I pay $30 a month for 3GB and yet I used less than 90MB a month just to check FB, Tweets, and news. Maybe I should try $14 for 250MB a month? :apple:

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I pay $30 a month for 3GB and yet I used less than 90MB a month just to check FB, Tweets, and news. Maybe I should try $14 for 250MB a month? :apple:

I don't know how you guys use so little - I can get 2GB in 2-3 days...and I don't even stream videos :D

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I had to limit myself reading stuff on my iPad because of 3GB I use it like 5 days a week. :apple:

yeah I think the best thing about the iPad when they introduced it was the unlimited data. Thankfully I have one of those plans...if not I would just get the wifi one :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.