Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freejack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just picked up my lte at&t mini yesterday and noticed that the plastic strip across the top is not flush with the rest of the aluminum back around it. On the left, it's sticks out a big, on the right, it is pushed in, and along the bottom, it is pushed in about 1mm. Seems kind of like a sloppy assembly job to me. Do any of you see this problem with your lte minis?

Thanks

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I ordered two. On one of them, the left edge was not flush and was super sharp. My local apple store thought it was weird too and swapped it without asking much.

On my second one, the sim slot is pushed in a bit. I can live with it, not a big deal

freejack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the feedback. Wondering if Apple will let me exchange it. The other concern is whether they'll have units available for an exchange.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
Thanks for the feedback. Wondering if Apple will let me exchange it. The other concern is whether they'll have units available for an exchange.

They have dedicated exchange units, different from retail stock. you can usually get a replacement, even if the product is out of stock.

freejack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just received my preorder ipad and it has the opposite problem. Instead of the plastic being recessed by 1mm, this one is protruding by 1mm along the bottom. What is wrong with Apple's QC? Not sure which one I should keep.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just received my preorder ipad and it has the opposite problem. Instead of the plastic being recessed by 1mm, this one is protruding by 1mm along the bottom. What is wrong with Apple's QC? Not sure which one I should keep.

There is no apple qc...not sure why people keep referring to it. THese are assembled on a line and this defect is acceptable to Foxconn. Call apple and complain. Then exchange it.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
picked up mine 16gb white LTE verizon saturday, had the wifi 16 white (unicorn hard to find) from launch.

perfect out of box, no dust under glass no blemishes, sim tray seems a bit recessed but not noticeable, no nicks or scratches. week 42

the 16gb wifi I got from launch had a spec or two of dust under glass but otherwise perfect as well.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I've had a wifi that I returned once I got my hands on an LTE model, and I think LTE one seems a bit better in terms of quality. Might be in my head but the thin, hollowness of the screen feels a bit better on my newer one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.