Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I have not upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 6 because of its Maps problems.

A new Google Maps app for the iPhone has just been released and supposedly an iPad version is supposed to be released soon.

I would now consider moving to iOS 6. Is there any significant advantages to iOS 6 vs 5.1.1?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
None in my opinion. I'm perfectly fine with iOS 5 on my iPad. I actually prefer the UI on 5.0 more, which is why I'm holding back. But if there was a good enough reason to upgrade to 6.0, I would.

If.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I too am on the side lines on this.. For me It comes down to these two points:

- Is worth not having both maps and youtube native apps on board.
(as mention maps due out soon)

- 5.1.1 jailbreak, are you(we) aware of what we're missing out on before making a decision to go with io6..

Other than that saying hi to siri may not be so bad..

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Yup. The removal of Youtube and Google Maps

:apple:

depending on how you use the ipad neither one of those apps holds much weight..

Youtube - in some ways the official web site is better. Besides how often do you really use it. 95% of its contents are straight up weird and or videos of people recording their FAILS.

MAPS - realistically, how useful is this on an ipad when you have an iphone in your pocket. Personally I've forgotten that this app was even on my ipad until io6 came out and everyone cried about it not being there any longer.

I think the only thing holding me back were all the complaints about the slow wifi......seeing that my ipad is wifi only this is a concern.

Denis54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Maps is very important for me. It is the reason why I did not upgrade to iOS 6. Youtube is much less important

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
6.0.1 has this bug on ALS.

Screen wont dim as much as it should even if you have it on auto brightness. I would wait for 6.1 official to upgrade. Googole map is available for loading in appstore there should be no problem.

Some apps features will not work properly unless you are on ios 6 so its your choice. For me, i prefer to get update with the latest os because if there is any thing wrong, you can count on apple to fix it soon. Although, i have little doubt after the Steve Jobs era.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes you should! You can download Google Maps and YouTube from the App Store. Plus you'll get 'shared photo streams' a new clock app, and general performance improvements (Safari is a lot faster!). If you have an iPhone then you'll also be able to receive iMessages from your phone number on your iPad too. There's not much other than that but small details make the difference, iPads get usage stats, reading list sync, do not disturb mode. I can't see a downside unless really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.