Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolakube

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
EDIT - got it. ANy new switcher in same boat.

1 - Do not hit the plus button. God knows what its function is but creating a new account isnt it.
2 - On macs the window selected can be and oftern is detacehed from all the menus at the top of the 'box' it should be atteched too.
3 - Simply go to FILE and ADD ACCOUNT. (Well, simply when you know how.)

I got a new MBP today. Launched mail and filled out my Gmail account details. Easy peesy.

I have two email accounts however. Gmail and Hotmail.

Im not asking for the info to enter into the boxes for setting up hotmail, im simply asking how I even get to that screen.

I press the plus key (botom left)l and get taken to a screen titled "new Mailbox"

I can select from a drop down menu Gmail??? why when ive just done this? or on my mac?

Neither of these only allow options are hotmail. Also what is "on my mac" I mean whoes Email isnt on a server somewhere? No ones mail is on there mac first and foremost.

If I select on my mac it simply puts a new mail box on the left above Gmail.

Now I cannot get this either. Gmail seems top have its own title = "Gmail" but hotmail exists under "on my mac" - Why?

Why cant Gmail AND hotmail appere under "on my mac" or both separately. Am I doing something wrong here

Also, all as this does is put the words Hotmail on the left under on my mac. It doesn't give me a chance to add any Email info or anything.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Firstly - you have added a mailbox - you need to setup the account properly. Unfortunately I am not sure what protocol hotmail uses or how to setup it up, but I can tell you where it would be done:

Method One:
1. From the Mail menu, choose preferences
2. Click the account tab
3. Click the + button

Method Two:
1. Open System Preferences
2. Click the "Mail, Contacts and Calendars" icon

"On my Mac" is exactly that - messages copied from a remote server to your local machine. Bit of an outdated concept - but some people like this.

The plus button is to add a mailbox.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.