Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I might have given the Google Nexus 7 a try as well as possibly a Kindle Fire, only thing is I would have had to order something versus walking into the Apple store and just picking 1 up.
I walked into Office Depot & picked up my 32GB Nexus 7. At 15mm narrower than my iPad mini it 's very comfortable to hold one handed. The higher resolution display gives it a distinct advantage over the mini, but I expected that.

Personally I like them both... A lot.

The original plan was to buy both, use them for a few weeks then keep my favorite. A long time Apple loyalist & computer user I tend to stick with them. Yet I would be kidding myself if I failed to admit how impressed I am with the Nexus build quality, beautiful display & the incredibly useful & smooth Android 4.2.x.

I've decided to give the mini to my wife since I also have my iPad 4. The Nexus 7's grippy textured back makes it a true pleasure to use for long periods. There's so much that can be done with it, I'm going to enjoy this one for some time.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
The iPad mini is the best small tablet out there in my opinion. I enjoy the size of it and its comparability with everything in the AppStore.

Having a laptop already, I think you will prefer it over a full size iPad.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I've had them all, all iPads, great and small, n7 and playbook, cheap android tabs, full size iPad suites my needs better. Mini seems to do the job for many though, despite its graininess. PB is nice, just not much apps. N7 was good but didn't use it enough, so got a note 2 instead.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I walked into Office Depot & picked up my 32GB Nexus 7. At 15mm narrower than my iPad mini it 's very comfortable to hold one handed. The higher resolution display gives it a distinct advantage over the mini, but I expected that.

Personally I like them both... A lot.

The original plan was to buy both, use them for a few weeks then keep my favorite. A long time Apple loyalist & computer user I tend to stick with them. Yet I would be kidding myself if I failed to admit how impressed I am with the Nexus build quality, beautiful display & the incredibly useful & smooth Android 4.2.x.

I've decided to give the mini to my wife since I also have my iPad 4. The Nexus 7's grippy textured back makes it a true pleasure to use for long periods. There's so much that can be done with it, I'm going to enjoy this one for some time.

Nice to see an unbiased opinion. I agree, that there are a lot of other good options out there. For me it came down to access at the time! I live about 4 minutes from the Apple store :p I have heard nothing but good things about the Nexus! As far as someone saying in this thread that the Android apps aren't designed for tablets, thats less of an issue with Android because they are all made to scale to the screen size since there are so many various devices out there.

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
I love my mini. The regular iPads seem so big now. I think if you are using the iPad as a substitute for a laptop (as in, you don't have another computer to go to if you need to), I would stick with the regular size, but if you already have a computer set up, and you just use it for around the house, or reading in bed, etc, the mini is a better option.

FWIW, maybe I have bad vision, but I can't see a difference between the retina and non retina in real life. I have seen pictures that show the difference up really close, but when I hold the two up to one another, I can't see a difference...

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Definitely agree if you have a desktop the mini is a bit more mobile if your needs is mobility. If you need the power if screen real estate then definitely the regular ipad reigns supreme

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I love mine. I think it's easier to type on than the larger iPad as well. Especially if you split the keyboard. And if the type is too small you can enlarge it. Once you're using it, you quickly forget that it's a smaller iPad anyway. Your brain just adjust to it very quickly.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I love my mini. The regular iPads seem so big now. I think if you are using the iPad as a substitute for a laptop (as in, you don't have another computer to go to if you need to), I would stick with the regular size, but if you already have a computer set up, and you just use it for around the house, or reading in bed, etc, the mini is a better option.

FWIW, maybe I have bad vision, but I can't see a difference between the retina and non retina in real life. I have seen pictures that show the difference up really close, but when I hold the two up to one another, I can't see a difference...

I just got back from exchanging my mini for an iPad 4. When looking at the two screens side by side, there's no doubt that the 4 has a much better looking screen. The mini's screen is very good. Just not as good as the 4. I'm gonna miss my iPad mini. It's light weight, looks good, great speakers. All around nice device. If my eyes were younger I would've kept it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Nice to see an unbiased opinion. I agree, that there are a lot of other good options out there. For me it came down to access at the time! I live about 4 minutes from the Apple store :p

How funny, I'm just eight minutes from my local Apple store :D

For this die hard, long time Apple loving MBP user, that's a fun place to spend my play money at.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
How funny, I'm just eight minutes from my local Apple store :D

For this die hard, long time Apple loving MBP user, that's a fun place to spend my play money at.

No doubt, its dangerous though! Haha, I opened a business acct, not because I have a business but because of how much I spend there I now get some pretty solid discounts. In 2012 I spent over 10k there.......so it was about time they gave me a damn discount! I'll need to go to ASA(Apple Store Anonymous) soon

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I think you mean a "cheaper" expensive toy. What makes it feel like an expensive toy compared to the full size iPad?

The same reason I'm sticking with my iPhone 4s. I just don't like the flimsy/lightweight feel of the iPhone 5 and the mini. They're all expensive toys in many ways!

Had the 4 been a little bit lighter and thinner than the 2 instead of the opposite, heavier and chunkier, I would kept that and sold the 2. I'm not overly fussed about having the retina screen.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I use an iPad 2 and a mini. Why? It lets me multitask. :)

I like the iPad more than my Mac mini for writing. It's just like working with paper pads. Or maybe, I watched too much Star Trek TNG where they used multiple PADDs to get their work done. Life imitating TV. ;)

macfly4

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
I have a 4th gen iPad but love the form factor and weight of the mini. Living in NYC the 4 is just too damn big to really feel comfortable carrying around everywher;especially the subway.
I am so tempted to get a low GB mini for just everyday carry but everytine i look at e screen i cant get over the lack of retina display. For me it has just spoiled me and i get distracted by the pixelation. As soon as it gets retina i will buy one. I think it just comes down to each person's eyes and what they are comfortable with. But in every other way, as a daily run around machine it is perfect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.